This annual thread is always really interesting, so thought I'd kick off with 2 months until our year-end list is up, and about a month before the first ones start rolling in.
Which records do you feel are album of the year contenders but don't feel like enough have heard? Or subtle delights that took a few listens that some people might forget to revisit?
FYI - A sentence or two of description to intrigue people are always more helpful in threads like this than just some massive list of records.
A few I'm planning to revisit and spend some proper time with based on love on here:
- PETRELS: like what I've heard, feels like a heavier Fuck Buttons on initial impressions http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4149017-articulate-silences-ambient-sounds-25-incl-petrels-album-stream
- TITLEFIGHT - Hyperview: been so many threads about these guys, was surprised when I put it on that it sounded like something Jade Tree might have released, but then I loved Planes Mistaken for Stars, and more recently stuff like Japandroids, Merchandise, and No Age, which it doesn't seem a million miles away from https://titlefightmusic.bandcamp.com/
- HAIKU SALUT: This review had a great reaction. Really special band, and - without wanting to draw obvious comparisons because of gender (sorry!) - they are a bit like a modern day Electrelane http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18924/reviews/4149236
A few that I've loved that I haven't seen loads of praise for that I urge you to investigate before deciding your list is done:
- MYNABIRDS: The album The Killers should have made 10 years ago. She's on Saddle Creek but the songs have hooks bigger than Taylor Swift's. Oh and she was in The Postal Service http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18935/reviews/4149255
- BRAIDS: be stunned if this isn't in DiS' top 10 of the year, the only problem with it is that there aren't 10 tracks as great as 'Miniskirt' http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18768/reviews/4148932
Big records that I assume everyone has heard or maybe dismissed because of the hype:
- WOLF ALICE: get beyond the sheen (read: not lofi) and hype, and there's a truly exceptional record in here. I reviewed it in more detail here: http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18868/reviews/4149119
- KENDRICK LAMAR: probably going to be album of the year everywhere, isn't it? http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18771/reviews/4148937
- FATHER JOHN MISTY: takes a few listens to buy-in to his wry world, but once you're in... http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18626/reviews/4148675
- BJORK: was surprised when we did half-year thread this didn't get more mentions. Possibly because it wasn't on streaming services? It is now. It's hard to make it to the end as it's so heavy, but sublime http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18607/reviews/4148649
- VIET CONG: seems to be a big staff favourite http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18577/reviews/4148591
- GIRL BAND: ditto http://drownedinsound.com/releases/19021/reviews/4149412
- SUFJAN STEVENS: I don't seem to be as in love with this as everyone else. Maybe I'm dead inside? http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18691/reviews/4148797
- HELEN: this lofi gem will probably be Rough Trade's album of the year http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18987/reviews/4149345
- LANA DEL REY: a really sophisticated body of work, definitely worth getting over your preconceptions and diving into http://drownedinsound.com/releases/19042/reviews/4149440
Right then, that's a lot to get us started. Over to you.