Shove your Arctic Monkeys internet phenomenom back up yer ass... Weezer top American download chart.
In a land five or six ago, before the internet was full of kids with angular haircuts and tattoos, there was just Weezer posting blogs and mp3s and their fans - the Netscape-tshirt-wearing geeks who sat on Napster for weeks waiting for live tracks and b-sides to download on snail-like dial-up internet connections which made funny noises. So it's apt that in the biggest year for legal downloading that the kings still have their crowns.
The biggest selling digital track in the USA for 2005 with a whopping a 961,981 sales was 'Beverly Hills' by Weezer. These figures are according to Nielsen SoundScan so it is a FACT!
However, just to confuse things, Gwen Stefani was number one in the Digital Songs category with 1,171,672 copies of 'Hollaback Girl' sold. The Digital Songs chart rates all versions of a song. The Digital Tracks category is for a single version of a track.
The Top Selling Digital Tracks for 2005 were:
1. Weezer - Beverly Hills (961,981)
2. Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (921,704)
3. Black Eyed Peas - My Humps (892,704)
4. Kelly Clarkson - Since You Been Gone (853,948)
5. The Killers - Mr Brightside (833,978)
6. Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin Down (830,835)
7. Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart (815,752)
8. Kanye West - Gold Digger (815,394)
9. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (803,790)
10. Nickelback - Photograph (795,419)
Top Selling Digital Songs for 2005 were:
1. Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (1,171,672)
2. Kanye West - Gold Digger (1,089,665)
3. Weezer - Beverly Hills (961,988)
4. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (960,341)
5. Black Eyed Peas - My Humps (917,807)
6. The Killers - Mr Brightside (889,323)
7. Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin' Down (830,835)
8. Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart (815,753)
9. Lifehouse - You and Me (808,991)
10. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (803,790)
All that's left to say is Godbless America, and thank you for all the culturally significant music you consume like burgers and then throw up on the rest of the world.