Thom Yorke's supegroup of sorts, with famed Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, Beck drummer Joey Waronker, bassist extraordinaire Flea and percussion man Mauro Refesco have finally got themselves a name. Hallelu, hallelu. Yorke announced the news on the newly crowned 'Best Blog' Dead Air Space.
The post read:
ok so in April the other band.. that i got together to do the eraser and other stuff u know .. Mauro, Flea, Me, Joey and Nigel is going back out to do some shows in the US.. ending with playing with Coachella. we had too much fun to just leave it there...
it has been decided that we call ourselves Atoms For Peace. hope you like the name.. it seemed bleedin' obvious.
Not too fond of CAPITALS is our Thom, though he does use them for all of the proper nouns, so let's not get too uptight about it. So it's Atoms For Peace. Great name, great significance. The more perceptive of you will also know that 'Atoms For Peace' was a song on Yorke's solo record, The Eraser. The less perceptive of you probably won't.
They've also announced some tour dates, though disappointingly none of these take place in the United Kingdom. Surely we can expect SOME kind of shows soon, though? Can't we? Here are those dates, which are handy if you live in America.
5 - New York, Roseland Ballroom %
6 - New York, Roseland Ballroom %
8 - Boston, Citi Wang Theatre %
10 - Chicago, Aragon Ballroom %
11 - Chicago, Aragon Ballroom %
14 - Oakland, Fox Theatre %
15 - Oakland, Fox Theatre %
17 - Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara Bowl
18 - Indio, Coachella
% = with Flying Lotus
- Moving Pictures - Videos of the Year: 4th Quarter 2011
- Listen: DOOM, Jonny Greenwood + Thom Yorke track 'Retarded Fren'
- Thom Yorke wants you to make a giant Cnut
- Spotify playlist: 10 Years of Solo Artists - Part 2: Beats, Bleeps, Björk & Beyonce
- The Big Chill 2010: the DiS review
- In Photos: Big Chill Festival 2010 @ Eastnor Castle Deer Park, Herefordshire
- Glastonbury (Friday): The DiS Review
- Spotifriday #41 - This Week on DiS as a playlist