- Paramore »
In a break from news about ridiculous marketing gimmicks to sell albums (Health, Ryan Adams already did that t-shirt thing forever ago!) and talk of the record industry being as doomed as Friendster, we thought this chart news might shock you as much as it did us.
Music industry trade magazine Music Week is today reporting that Paramore look rather likely to have their first number one album this coming Sunday.
brand new eyes (yes, it is meant to be in lower case!), which came out in the UK yesterday on the Fueled By Ramen label (is it wrong to call them the Motown of Emo?), has already topped the Twitter trending chart today (basically that means it was the most posted about set of words, which, is like, nerderrificly great) but, like, selling actual
records ceedees is what's really important. And yup, yesterday they sold around 8,000 "units" more than Madonna (last week's number 1 longplayer) according to early retail reports.
brand new eyes sold a whopping 23,500 "units" yesterday, according to Music Week's retail chart sources. That's a bit bloody good innit for one of them "the emo" bands the prime-time tv soaps and Daily Mail warned us about?
Actually, maybe these sales shouldn't be so surprising as brand new eyes scored an 8/10 review this morning from DiS and even in a first listen review by me it got a 9/10, and, like, I hate everything (which is probably why I love emo bands with big songs that sound not unlike Refused writing songs for Kelly Clarkson quite so much). Album of the year? Just a guilty pleasure? Not even heard it yet? Get ye to this Spotify link.
Anyway, I wonder what nonsense that chap from Wavves (the P.Doherty of nofi?) got up to last night...
- Interview: "We channelled Prince's energy!" - Paramore discuss their 4th album
- This Week's Singles 28.01.13: Prince, Paramore, The Knife, Pulp, Disclosure, AlunaGeorge
- Leeds Festival 2012: Drowned In Sound's Saturday blog
- In Photos: Leeds Festival 2012 - Day 2 @ Bramham Park, Leeds
- In Photos: Paramore @ Leeds Festival 2012
- Reading & Leeds 2012 - DiS' Must See Acts
- At the Drive-In, Blood Red Shoes, Metronomy, SBTRKT, Shins, Cure, Paramore and more for Reading &
- Listen: New Paramore track, 'Monster'