Their music swoops, scratches, simmers and soars. And their debut album is due in February.
It's been a bit of a wait for the debut LP by Sam Haar and Zach Steinman, collectively known under the google-brings-up-lots-of-nude-ladies Blondes moniker. I say a long wait but only because their debut EP (Touched released in 2010 via Merok) was a thing of wonder and more music couldn't come soon enough. What they do is woozy but uplifting. Psychedelic but haunting. Droning but desk-dance-friendly, sort of like minimal-house or trance-adelia or what I've been calling 'sigh-fi'. The experimentation at the ambient end of dance breeds contrasts that are subtle but make for something special that you can't quite pin down - it's this distorted dragon chasing that lured me in, time and time again, until their whateveryouwannacallit lushness had me hooked and hyped (as they say on th' streets of suburbia) for an album proper.
Throughout 2011 the Brooklyn based duo teased out a series of 12" singles on the New York label RVNG Intl., all of which - unsurprisingly - show up on their debut album, via the same label. They've also slung together a second CD of remixes by an enviable list of awesome sorts. RVNG Intl. will release Blondes (it's self-titled) digitally and as a double-CD on February 7th, 2012.
And here's the tracklisting:
- Lover (A JD Twitch Optimo Mix)
- Lover (Dungeon Acid Remix)
- Hater (SFV Acid's Encino Oaks Remix)
- Business (John Roberts Remix)
- Pleasure (Andy Stott Remix)
- Wine (Teengirl Fantasy Remix)
- Water (Bicep Remix)
- Gold (One Blonde Strange Idea by Traxx)
- Gold (Laurel Halo Chains Remix)
- Amber (Variation in Cm by Rene Hell)
'Wine' Teengirl Fantasy remix
'Wine' original version, video
- 2012's Most Read: Threads, Reviews and More...
- Drowned in Sound's Favourite Albums of 2012: 5-1
- Weekend Listening: Biffy Clyro, Halls, Grizzly Bear, Blondes, Perfume Genius covers Madonna
- In Photos: Lovebox Festival 2012 @ Victoria Park, London
- Half-Year, Half Dozen: Six Recommended Debut Albums
- 101 Minutes of Bliss #1: A DiS YouTube Playlist
- In Photos: DiS Presents Blondes @ Soup Kitchen, Manchester
- SXSW 2012 - The DiS Review