Darren Hayman & The Secondary Modern release their next album, The Essex Arms, on October 4. We are mightily looking forward to it. There's now a video for the Emmy The Great-featuring single 'Calling Out Your Name Again' - which comes out physically on October 11 through Fortuna Pop! but is available to download here - which has been made by Darren himself. We've got the video premiere of it - you can have a look below. But first, a few words from Mr Hayman about the whole process:
A few friends who have already seen this video have said that I have too much time on my hands. This isn’t true, but I do have a compulsive nature and when I start something, I mean to finish it. No idea is too stupid for me to pursue and time and effort shouldn’t be the reason for not doing something. I am currently building a life size model of my dog out of Lego. No, really I am.
This video is made using one sheet of card that is constantly scanned in between me drawing or erasing or painting over parts of it. I had no concious plan or storyboard though I would occasionally draw something that reflected a line from the song. The main thing was put Radio 4 on, make a cup of tea, then draw, scan, draw, scan, draw, scan etc.
It took about 2 months. I won’t be doing it again. I hope you like it.
So yes, that's the video. It does look painstaking but also totally worth it. Now comes the track itself, which you can stream via the SoundCloud widget we've got below and download from here. It's pretty simple.
- Darren Hayman - Lido
- In Photos: Indietracks Festival 2012 @ Midlands Railway, Butterley
- Darren Hayman - January Songs
- Listen: Download free Darren Hayman and Wave Pictures Xmas single
- This Week's Singles: 21/11/11 The Revival Hour, EMA, Dan Haywood's New Hawks, Breton
- Fifteen years of fun: DiS meets Sean Price, founder of Fortuna Pop! Records
- Darren Hayman - The Ship's Piano
- This Week's Singles: 03/10/11 Magic Bus, Vex Ruffin, Vetiver, Darren Hayman, Dum Dum Girls