Around this time last year, Deftones bassist Chi Cheng was badly injured in an horrific car accident, leaving him in a coma, and with life-threatening injuries. Then, in May, he left intensive care, making the first steps to recovery. However, the recovery has not been complete and Chi has remained in a semi-conscious state for much of this time, the process of recovery being slow.
As you may be aware, this has incurred a massive medical bill for Chi's family, much of which isn't covered by health insurance in the US, and as a result, his band members in Deftones and friends from outside the band got together to help raise money to pay the medical bills faced by his family.
Today sees the start of a new charity auction, launching on this very website, as well as two benefit shows being played in Hollywood, today and tomorrow.
There's a whole array of wonderful and interesting stuff available in the auction, some of the highlights are listed below:
- A day in the studio with Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 to produce a track for your band
- Flyaway to Helsinki, Finland to attend HIM's sold-out New Year's Eve show. Includes meet-and-greet with the band, round-trip flights, and hotel for two nights.
- Signed ESP guitar from Metallica
- John Dolmayan's (System of a Down) personal Tama drum kit, autographed by John
- Signed gear from Deftones
- Signed Slayer motorcycle helmet autographed by members of Slayer
- A pair of three-day general admission and VIP passes to Coachella Festival 2010
- Autographed ESP guitar from My Chemical Romance
Pretty neat stuff. In a message, band leader and frontman Chino Moreno expresses his gratitude to the fans, and all who contribute to the appeal:
"Wow, first let me start off saying how amazed I am at the generosity of all the friends and artists who have come forward for this auction. We, Deftones are so very grateful to all for your donations and time you’ve put into making this a success. I myself had no idea it would be this big. Just goes to show how many good friends and good will Chi has made over the last 20 years, just being the good dude he is.
"If you were lucky enough to befriend Chi over the last couple decades you would know that there is not a more kind, or more giving person. It’s so great to see it all coming back around for him. I really want to thank everyone that has kept him in their thoughts, prayers, and kept all the positive energy and love flowing his way. I truly believe he will return to us one day when he is good and rested with a great story to tell in his off the wall Cheng sense of humour.
"Chi is one tuff “MF” and if anyone can make it through this, it’s gonna be him. Chi, I miss you and love you and so does the world. Hope to see you soon."
You can find out more information about Chi's condition and the appeal on One Love For Chi.