Yesterday morning we reported that Depeche Mode's 02 show was cancelled due to lead singer Dave Gahan's suspected severe gastroenteritis.
However, it turns out that the problem for Gahan was far more serious - whilst in hospital doctors found a malignant tumour, which has since been successfully removed.
The tour will resume fairly soon on June 8 in Leipzig Germany, which is pretty remarkable, really.
A statement read:
Dave Gahan sincerely thanks his fans for their support, understanding and patience. Depeche Mode deeply regret any problems or inconveniences the cancellations and postponements may have caused.
Furthermore, all dates following Seville on the Tour of the Universe will proceed as originally planned.
Ticket holders for the previously cancelled shows (those days from May 12-27) are advised to hold onto their tickets pending a further statement. Every effort is being made to reschedule the shows, organisers say.
Meanwhile, Morrissey has cancelled the remaining two dates of his Brixton shows, after cancelling the first earlier in the week due to illness.
A statement read:
"Regrettably, the rest of Morrissey's UK tour dates at the O2 Academy Brixton have been cancelled. Morrissey is on continued doctor's orders not to sing. Ticket holders are advised to hang on to their tickets and await further information."
"Event Organizers would like to apologize to fans for the disappointment. Additional information will be issued as soon as possible."
Get well soon, guys.
- Mixtape Monday: The AIM Independent Music Awards 2012 - 50-song Spotify Playlist
- Edwyn Collins, and Mute Records boss Daniel Miller to be honoured at AIM Independent Music Awards
- The Insider: Class Wars
- Spotifriday #20 Side II: Kraftwerkweek as a playlist
- Depeche Mode's Gahan recovers from tumour removal, Morrissey cancels more shows
- Enjoy The Silence: Depeche Mode cancel O2 show
- 'Just Can't Get Enough' of Depeche Mode? Not in Estonia...
- Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe