It seems we’ve been busier with the camera than we have with the ‘pen’ this week, heading down to Brighton’s Great Escape to film the likes of Futureheads, Cadence Weapon, Telepathe and more somewhere between grey sheets of sky and the pebbles. The fruits of that we’ll bear soon, fingers x’d – for more immediate filmic fare click for photographs from the event in Brighton, Nasty Fest IX in Leeds and DrownedinSound’s UK tour; respectively here, here and here.
More live activity manifests itself in the May return of our treasured DiScover club at Notting Hill Arts Club. Grammatics, Let’s Wrestle and Circuits will be there from 4pm-8pm this Saturday (24 May) and if you’re in the same city so should you. Entry’s free, but you do have to be 18. More details here.
Next Tuesday we’re at Bardens in east London with The Ruby Suns, Esau Mwamwaya and Radioclit and on the 8th June we return with Rolo Tomassi and Danananananaykroyd. Live times.
Wild Beasts’ brilliant ‘Devil’s Crayon’ is our video of the week
Tom Waits announced a string of European dates, My Chemical Romance fans were preparing to march through London in protest at the Daily Mail, Nas finally gave in to pressure to rename his new album, Wire announced a new studio album, Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty scared YouTube with newborn mice, Santogold says anyone calling her an R&B artist is racist…
Glastonbury – Amy Winehouse
Abandon Ship – Let’s Wrestle, Adem, Munch Munch, Johnny Foreigner, Hot Club de Paris
End of the Road – Bon Iver, Richard Hawley, Noah and the Whale, Zombie Zombie
Secret Garden Party – Saint Etienne, El Perro del Mar, Lykke Li
Summer Sundae – Henry Rollins
Reading and Leeds – Henry Rollins, Jeffrey Lewis, Pete and the Pirates, Plain White T’s, Tiger Army
Redfest – Patrick Wolf
Click here for a week in news…
Click here for the chart round-up…
Video of the week: Wild Beasts – ‘The Devil’s Crayon’
A Week in Features
* Black Mountain on tour: tea, Marmite and more
* Dot To Dot 2008: the DiS preview
* Prove It All Night: five of the best from Bruce Springsteen
* Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip’s (in)complete guide to love
* Armed Forces: on the gallows with Islands
A Week in Review
* The Great Escape 2008: the DiS review
* Explosions' ATP: the DiS review
* Silver Jews: Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea
* The Charlatans: You Cross My Path
* Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip: Angles
* Battles, Fuck Buttons, Dirty Projectors @ Astoria, London; 14/05/08
* Bon Iver @ The Social, London; 19/05/08
* Mint Ive, A Place to Bury Strangers @ Bodega Social Club, Nottingham; 20/05/08
* Festival Special: Stag and Dagger, London
Featuring tracks from Munch Munch, Bumblebeez and A-Trak
Message board ‘highlights’
* ATP! ATP! ATP! ATP!
* find out who my DiS supercrush is!!!
...Apparently it isn’t bsoucek. It’s a man
* Girls and music
* who is the most up their own arse pretentious cunt here on dis? cos its full of em
* New Guy started on Monday. He's Italian. (sitcom centric)
...Tugay One Cup - A fly on the wall mockumentary following a Blackburn midfielder's quest for the Premiership trophy.
Over and out,
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at email@example.com