Like Father Christmas kotching with the mad, old lads at your local Wetherspoons, we’ve got something for everyone this weekend. Features-wise, Death Cab for Cutie and Santogold make for an unlikely pair, while M83 and Black Dice are fine, fine oddities – find interviews with all on our site, links below.
Elsewhere, it’s been a big week for reviews. The Last Shadow Puppets stealthy ascent to prominence should result in something special in NW1 this weekend, while Portishead and The Breeders were also scrutinised by our team of reviewers. Further down the rungs but by no means less interesting are Baltimore’s Ecstatic Sunshine and Selkirk’s Frightened Rabbit. DiS glowed for both.
Looming over this weekend in London at least is the Camden Crawl, as ominous for some as it is enticing to others. Sorry, what? You don’t live in London? For those who don’t and who aren’t planning on heading to England’s capital over the next few days, ignore – for all others, come down to the Bullet Bar on Kentish Town Road tomorrow and Saturday night. We may be tucked a few minutes out of the way, but we’ve also got a line-up that’s fresher than most, though we aren’t allowed to spill names just yet so you’ll have to place faith in the DiS booking team. That faith should be strengthened by the knowledge that we booked/sponsored both HEALTH and Jaguar Love for shows this week.
Kling Klang vs. Kraftwerk ran on and on with metronomic determination, Gallagher senior was running his mouth in regards to Jay-Z, iLiKETRAiNS were mugged by fake Italian policemen, people keep taking pops at poor Michael Eavis, EMI chucked out another Radiohead 'Best Of...', this time on DVD, My Chemical Romance asked if you could please stop hitting emos now...
Festivals - Grace Jones, Eminem, Annie Lennox, Stevie Wonder, 'Queen', Razorlight, Keane, Sons and Daughters, Glasvegas, Bonde do Role, Alphabeat, Prince, The Lemonheads, Iggy and the Stooges, Laura Marling, Les Savy Fav, Cut Copy, Kimya Dawson, Twilight Sad, Los Campesinos!, James Yorkston, The Maccabees, Supergrass, The Gossip, Kate Nash, Ipso Facto
Click here for a week in news…
Weather-beaten crotch: Click here for the chart round-up…
Video of the week: Crystal Castles – ‘Courtship Dating’
A Week in Features
* Many steps to climb: Death Cab For Cutie on new LP
* Santo Claws: talking S1W, M.I.A. and Mark Ronson with Santogold
* Teen idols: M83 all hung up on the retro flicks of his youth
* Happy hardcore: How Black Dice mutated into...
* Johnny Foreigner's 2008 diary: March
* Liverpool's modern music scene: the class of 2008 (pt 2)
* Camden Crawl 2008: the DiS preview
The Last Shadow Puppets
A Week in Review
* Portishead: Third
* The Last Shadow Puppets: The Age Of The Understatement
* The Breeders: Mountain Battles
* Clinic: Do It
* Ecstatic Sunshine: WAY
* Frightened Rabbit: The Midnight Organ Fight
* Various: On The Bone Compilation Number Two
* Band of the Day #26: Shady Bard – ‘Long Term Solutions to the Seagull Problem’
* Band of the Day #27: Gentle Friendly – ‘Ride Symbols’
* Band of the Day #28: Sky Larkin – ‘I Was a Teenage Hand Model’
Message board ‘highlights’
* Noel Gallagher: what an absolute cock
…“OMFGZZZ HE IZ SO IGNORANTZZ”
* getting "signed"
…the occasional stalk of broccoli in your e number-scoffing mailout. Fan/industry discourse…
* Johnny Borrell produced track
…“Shittest. Jag. Ever. And post of the millenium.”
* Review The Last Gig You Went To In One Word
…“whitehouse @ electrowerkz… horrid”
* Are the Courteeners the new Smiths ?
…"no… they are better"
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org