Yes, it’s that time of week already, where what’s been best about our boyishly good-looking website over the last seven days is summed up in a ‘hilarious’ preface.
Blame the bank holiday, blame Jesus, blame us, blame whoever; for the consequences of a four-day week and, more pertinently, the four-night weekend, means there will be even less hilarity on show here than usual. There simply isn’t the time. What we do have to compensate is this amusingly absurd interview with The Brian Jonestown Massacre’s Anton Newcombe, in which the general theme of absurdity was tapped throughout, until an abrupt, unceremonious ending.
Not usually prone to whimpering fits of nostalgia, our attentions were turned by the recent returns of bands like Portishead, Massive Attack and The Verve back to 1997 in the Weekly DiScussion, while we righted ourselves with the third in our nascent MySpace Trail series.
Elsewhere, there’s coverage of South By South West, album reviews for The Teenagers, Be Your Own PET and Ivor Cutler, a shout down for Radio 1 DJ Pete Tong, a warning across the bows to Charlie Brooker and all the usual T’n’A’n’love’n’hate’n’sex’n’death’n’that.
Perfect for this time of year, you have to think.
The sperm for tickets fiasco was mopped up, The Game was pulling guns on 'busters', Pete Tong was blamed for a house party riot, Amy Winehouse got naked for charity, Gnarls Barkley and The Raconteurs made surprise announcements, Courtney Love set her sights on Charlie Brooker...
Festivals - Battles, Hercules & Love Affair, Kate Nash, Felix Da Housecat, Hadouken!, Skins, Darren Hayman, Wedding Present, Jack Penate, Michael Mayer, Interpol, Iron and Wine, M.I.A., Sigur Ros, Franz Ferdinand, Neil Young, Fr*tellis, Death Cab for Cutie, Banjo or Freakout, Elbow, Buzzcocks, Breeders
Click here for a week in news…
A Week in Features
* Panic At The Disco: an overnight success years in the making
* Breaking dens: Mystery Jets ditch prog's grey cage for Young Love and pop fun
* Another dull knife pun: Young Knives in conversation
* The Brian Jonestown Massacre: enraging Anton, unintentionally
* Remixing Hitler: an audience with Girl Talk
* Here comes the rain: Buck 65 reads DiS the weather
Chatter and Opinion
* The Weekly DiScussion: Shall we party like it's 1997 again?
A Week in Review
* Neon Neon: Stainless Style
* The Teenagers: Reality Check
* Be Your Own PET: Get Awkward
* Foals @ Astoria, London; 17/03/08
* Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band: 13 Blues For Thirteen Moons
* One More Grain, Silver Apples, Felix Kubin @ Corsica Studios, London; 12/03/08
* Ivor Cutler: A Flat Man
Message board ‘highlights’
* The results are in. This is what Year 9 think of your bands...
…in which a class of year 9s review the music made by DiS users
* DiS user 'backlashes'
…stirring up a hornet’s nest
* one of the funniest threads ever
…Football365 boarders invade the BBC storm photos section
* what was the most under rated 90`s band
…if you remember that far back
* get george lamb off 6music
…369 replies and counting
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at email@example.com