We don’t know what you were busy with this week, but DrownedinSound spent its time rubbing shoulders with the big lads, like canny year nines invading the sixth formers’ playground. Some took us in and made us feel like one of the gang, and some of us were too cocky and got our lunch stolen and our big heads bog-washed. Check Alex Denney’s Nick Cave interview or Gareth Dobson’s reflective chatter with Elbow’s Guy Garvey for examples on how to conduct yourself when faced with a recording artist of huge renown, check this schmo’s verbal tussle with The Hives’ ‘Howlin’ Pelle to see your narrator plunged headfirst into an existential crisis. Still, a heartening if surprising show of support from the readers of DiS for a band who’ve essentially been playing the same riff since 1993. Even if that riff is a pretty good one.
Elsewhere, we were at the launch of this year’s Truck Festival where Maps, Lovvers and These New Puritans were confirmed for this year’s gathering in Oxfordshire. The headliners are still to come, but check DiS tomorrow for an exclusive behind the scenes look at the shoot for the new TNPs video.
You can also expect the second part in our ‘Maccabees meet The Futureheads feature and an interview with Andy Butler, the man behind the sublime disco nightdream that is Hercules & Love Affair.
Miles Kane and Alex Turner, The Last Shadow Puppets
Justice put their name to another dazzling video, Killing Joke came back to life for a world tour, Nine Inch Nails 'did a Radiohead', Vampire Weekend's drummer was the victim of a hit ‘n’ run in London, Björk stuck up for Kosovo, the first video arrived from Alex Turner's new project...
Festivals - Amy Winehouse, Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Duffy, The Verve, The Futureheads, Jamie T, Black Kids, Good Shoes, Low, British Sea Power, Hercules and Love Affair, Why?, Kate Nash (not Lily Allen, Björk)
Click here for a week in news…
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
A Week in Features
* Carnivals of the Grotesque: Nick Cave on Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!
* DiSband #4: The Hives
* Heads, shoulders, hearts, Elbow: affecting chatter with Guy Garvey
* In Persson: The Cardigans on Best Of business
* Triple X Teens: down and dirty with The Teenagers
* Electric feelers out: MGMT mysticise the UK
* F*ck Buttons UK tour diary: U2 previews and Subway scuffles
* A Month In Records: February 2008
* DiScover: The Ruby Suns
Hercules & Love Affair
A Week in Review
* Young Knives: Superabundance
* Why?: Alopecia
* Surrounded: The Nautilus Years
* MIT: Coda
* The Brunettes, Broken Social Scene, Okkervil River, Devastations, Feist, Dan Deacon, The Cool Kids @ Laneway Festival, Brisbane, Australia
Message board ‘highlights’
* Loveliest musicians you've ever met
…”I Met Jamie T's dad. he was nice and gave me free t shirt.”
* The coolest/weirdest dream you've ever had?
…“Unfortunately, I had no weapon to hand so I started by strangling a Maori guy with his own pony tail”
* I have no money
…“Sell your hair”
* pavement. yawn
…“Music that can only be enjoyed by that limited generation of people who were at Uni during the late 90s when all the current music was crap.”
* The best band name you've ever heard
…“The Seal Cub Clubbing Club”
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at email@example.com