'I first realised I was a sexual being listening to David Bowie': Scarlett talks up new record
Scarlett Johansson has been talking to the Telegraph about her forthcoming Tom Waits covers album.
Yes, more chatter – the record we previously declared to feature contributions from David Bowie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Celebration amongst others, will also include “a hand-wound music box, massed banjos, birdsong and the choral chirruping of detuned crickets.”
More? Of course. Telegraph scribe Neil McCormick describes what he’s heard of Johansson’s Anywhere I Lay My Head as “seriously weird”.
“The first time I heard her singing voice emerge from the speakers, I thought I was listening to a guy. Her voice is very low, shaky and has about two notes in it. Think Nico, backed by the Flaming Lips. On acid. Johansson has made a seriously weird record.”
Apparently she considered making that record one of “torch songs and Cole Porter standards,” but settled on Waits because she “just love[s] his songs”.
The result finds McCormick supposing that “if you didn't know this was a movie-star album, you might think it was some cultish psychedelic Americana outfit in the vein of Mercury Rev.
“It is a lush, dreamy, cinemascopic production, in which Johansson's often expressionless vocals are just another off-kilter element, layer upon layer of mistreated sound.”
Conversation turns back to Johansson, who describes working with producer Dave Sitek as "magical" before sharing her feelings on working with Bowie – ‘feelings’.
"I first realised I was a sexual being listening to David Bowie, like, oh my God, what are these tingling feelings?"
We’re sure the indie-rock fraternity will be reliving those feelings themselves come the album’s release in May, regardless of the album’s quality.
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- News Mixtape: August 2012 ft. Kate Bush, Pussy Riot, Tom Waits, Flying Lotus, Talk Talk, Kanye West
- Weekend Listening: LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Tom Waits, New Look, Cat Power + more!
- 101 Minutes of Bliss #2: A DiS YouTube Playlist
- 5 For Fri: Tom Waits, J.Dilla, Japandroids, Yeasayer, Poolside
- St. Vincent talks Tom Waits, technology and Strange Mercy
- Win: Sonos PLAY:3 Wireless HiFi + Deezer Premium+
- DiS' Favourite Albums of 2011: 20-6
- DiS Albums of the Year 2011: All Our Staff Number 1s