Us holed-up in this underground bunker in the west of London have helped Drowned in Sound earn its military stripes this week, having come under heavy fire for our part in the 'story' that Efrim Menuck's Godspeed You! Black Emperor had 'split'. They haven't, of course - not that we ever claimed as much on the site - the band still officially limboing their way through what's become a half decade or so of hiatus.
No rest for busy mouths, though - check back to Drowned in Sound on Friday (15 Feb) for exclusive content from Les Savy Fav and the first online review of the new Foals album.
David Bowie gave Scarlett Johansson a hand on her Tom Waits covers record, EMI were making plans to release Radiohead’s Greatest Hits, we had a run in with GY!BE and Silver Mount Zion’s Efrim Manuck, Michael Jackson recorded a rare message of hope to his fans, Foals got political n’that...
Festivals - Massive Attack, Fatboy Slim, Mark Ronson, Bootsy Collins, Underworld, Vampire Weekend, Elbow
Click here for a week in news…
A Week in Features
* Yeasayer: from nothing to somewhere, quick sharp
* Blowing kisses to disinterested bitches: Yoni Wolf considers Why?
* Final Fantasy: meets Monkey in Toronto, curates festival in Europe
* Dead Meadow: ruffle Feathers, produce stellar fifth album
* Spot the Huge Ego: DiS's account of U23D
* DiScover: Left With Pictures
* The Weekly DiScussion: The Valentine's Day mixtape massacre
* The Bonus DiScussion: our Radiohead best-of mixes
Les Savy Fav
Single of the Week
* Jubilee: Rebel Hiss
A Week in Review
* Les Savy Fav, Future Of The Left, Los Campesinos! @ London Astoria, 10/02/08
* Laura Marling: Alas, I Cannot Swim
* I Was A Cub Scout: I Want You To Know That There Is Always Hope
* British Sea Power, These New Puritans @ London Koko, 31/01/08
* Let's Wrestle: In Loving Memory Of... (EP)
* Various: Rough Trade Counter Culture '07
* Pete and the Pirates: Little Death
* Envelopes: Here Comes The Wind
Message board ‘highlights’
* The End is Nigh (Social-Board centric)
…the social board is lead from the front page like a captured streaker
* why does everyone on this site
…an errant metaller takes issue with DiS’s love of ‘fanny’ music
* Daft Headline of the Week
…“ELEPHANT SLAPPED AFTER INSURANCE FRAUD”
…thinktank on the ‘indie’ hit
* The awkwardness of wanting to speak to someone at a bus stop because you find them attractive.
…“Grow a pair!"
Hastily manning up
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at email@example.com for back slaps and a credit...