Most of this week has been spent trying to extricate Hot Chip’s ‘We’re Looking for a Lot of Love’ from the space between our skulls and our tiny brains, which, though not completely bereft of joy, is an arduous grapple. It doesn’t help that the website I spend the majority of my waking hours staring at keeps reminding me of their existence, though in its defence TheSun.co.uk’s straight-faced capitalisation of the word ‘BOOB’ coupled with the ease with which its forums convert idiocy into panic earns it the right to big, big applause. Ho ho.
Anyway, enough easy snobbery, down to it – click here if you’re still confused about Hot Chip, here to get us Snoop. And that’s a ‘you and I’ us rather than a ‘me and him and him and him and him' us, would-be selfish crones.
Elsewhere there was much chatter around albums playing ‘chicken or egg?’ with the December tippers, some of which have already been salvaged from the dank light of record stores to shine golden forever in our January Month in Records round-up; and we all got the opportunity to sit ‘round staring into space when the subject of this week’s DiScussion was decided upon. Focus…
Glastonbury organisers were announcing the first names on their bill, one of Bloc Party was speaking to us about his new side-project, an underground rock legend was fighting for his life, Hype Machine was compiling its list of 2007’s most ‘blogged about bands and all sorts of things were happening in the ‘ya wah? A'rite’ world of ladrock…
Festivals - Jay-Z, Neil Diamond, Hot Chip
Click here for a week in news…
A Week in Features
* "Some of what I've done is really embarrassing": DiS speaks to Rivers Cuomo
* Glasvegas: demanding to know why they haven’t sold out
* The Apes do DC: freak-popsters' guide to their hometown
* Johnny Foreigner's 2008 diary: January
* A Month In Records: January 2008
* DiScover: One More Grain / DiScover: Munch Munch
* The Weekly DiScussion: celebrating our Gateway Acts
Single of the Week
* Hot Chip: Ready For The Floor
A Week in Review
* Hot Chip: Made In The Dark
* Adele: 19
* Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
* Lightspeed Champion: Falling Off The Lavender Bridge
* Xiu Xiu: Women As Lovers
* el Guincho: Alegranza
* School of Language: Sea From Shore
* Instruments Of Science And Technology: Music From The Films Of R/Swift
* Eels: Meet The Eels: Essential Eels Vol 1, 1996-2006
* Bullet For My Valentine: Scream Aim Fire
Top Voted Board Threads
* Put your pod on shuffle and type in the first 5 songs it spits out.
…closeted skeletons run amok
* so...the first time you had sex?
…“i kissed my mums cleaner once. how middle class.”
* I CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM
* how do you sort your record collection
…“According to the colour of the spine in order to create a spectrum of sound”
* If your 10 year old self could see you now...
…“Why are you so afraid of the rest of the world, older Tom? I thought we were going to conquer it, and void all its rules."
Off to void...
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for back slaps and a credit...