NME announces 2007 Cool List
As inevitable as the debate that’ll follow it, the NME have released the latest installment of their annual ‘Cool List’.
This year’s list, which asserts that ‘Punk Is Cool’, features lairy Gallows ginger Frank Carter in the top spot, with Jamie Reynolds of Klaxons just behind him. Lovefoxxx (CSS), Ryan Jarman, (The Cribs) and Lethal Bizzle complete the list; which – if it wasn’t for the appearance of Jarman – DiS would suspect was to be read upside down.
What else? Well, Brandon Flowers’ facial hair trumps its owner by 26 places; Tim Harrington makes an appearance and Prince sits sandwiched awkwardly at the aftershow between Babyshamble Drew McConnell and Tom Clarke of the Enemy.
All this and more, and more, and more:
1. Frank Carter – Gallows
2. Jamie Reynolds – Klaxons (13)
3. Lovefoxxx – CSS (10)
4. Ryan Jarman – The Cribs
5. Lethal Bizzle
6. Alex Turner – Arctic Monkeys (32)
7. Kate Nash
8. Amy Winehouse (50)
9. Beth Ditto – The Gossip (1)
10. Keith Richards – The Rolling Stones (26)
12. Thom Yorke – Radiohead (9)
13. Drew McConnell - Babyshambles
15. Tom Clarke – The Enemy
16. Noel Gallagher – Oasis
17. Hayley Williams - Paramore
18. Brandon’s Tache – Brandon Flowers, The Killers
19. Matt Bellamy – Muse (27)
20. James Smith - Hadouken
21. Caleb Followill – Kings of Leon
22. Matt Helders – Arctic Monkeys
23. Eddie Argos – Art Brut
24. Craig Finn – The Hold Steady
25. Morgan Yeah? – Does it Offend You, Yeah?
26. Simon Neil - Biffy Clyro – (28)
27. Simon Taylor - Klaxons
28. Karen O – Yeah Yeah Yeahs (5)
29. Kele Okereke – Bloc Party
30. Meg White – The White Stripes (24)
31. Tim Harrington – Les Savy Fav
32. Gerard Way – My Chemical Romance (8)
33. Jamie T
34. Pete Doherty – Babyshambles (28)
35. Lou Hayter – New Young Pony Club
36. Ian Brown
37. Joe Lean – Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong
38. Andy Burrows - Razorlight
39. Kyle Falconer – The View
40. Nicky Wire – Manic Street Preachers
41. Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age
42. Cole Alexander - Black Lips
43. Suki - Real Heat
44. Brandon Flowers – The Killers (29)
45. Yannis Philippakis - Foals
46. Patrick Wolf
47. Carlos D - Interpol
49. Dev Hynes – Lightspeed Champion
50. Spider Webb – The Horrors
Last year's positions in brackets
Says NME editor Conor McNicholas of the list: “Thirty years after the height of punk there are a whole load of new bands making wild and passionate noise. But it takes more than just great music to make it to the top of the Cool List - these people effortlessly set trends with every breath they take - and it's great to see that people like Keith Richards prove that you don’t have to be young to do this!"
You kids, wild for ashes.
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for back slaps and a credit...
- The Cribs - Payola 2002-2012
- This Week's Singles 11.02.13: Darwin Deez, Tempest Storm, Charli XCX, The Cribs
- Watch: Suede, Foals, Richard Hawley, The Cribs, Everything Everything live for 6 Music
- In Photos: The Cribs @ Sheffield Academy
- DiS Predicts: The Mercury Prize 2012 nominees
- Leeds Festival 2012: Drowned In Sound's Sunday blog
- DiS meets Johnny Marr & Nile Rodgers - "The greatest artistic motivator in music is jealousy"
- This Week's Singles: 09/07/12 Big Black Delta, Deco Child, Meursault, The 2 Bears