- The Cribs »
- Wichita »
Nothing really changes in the world of the Jarman brothers. New producer, new shiny sound maybe, but they’re still pretty pissed off and disgusted with you. Yes,_ you, with your shiny hair and white belts. “Have you noticed I've never been impressed by your friends from New York and London?”_ sneers Ryan.
Which is fine, but it seems like a fairly disengaged rage; postured piss-ant-ry rather than a hand-delivered letter to the indie world. The exact meaning is unclear: is this a self-slamming diatribe against male selfishness? Or merely a frustrated attempt to communicate one’s shortcomings to a loved one? Or anything at all? Perhaps it’s an expression of a new-found metrosexuality from the Wakefield trio?
But why concern yourself too much? ‘Men’s Needs’ is a tune. It sears along on a bullying, angular riff compulsive listening, collapses in a juddering heap and demands repeat plays and involuntary in-chair movement. What it does on an indie dance-floor doesn’t bear thinking about.
But where do men and women come into it? Well, apparently men are bastards, and women… well, it just doesn’t work, does it?
Watch the video here
- The Cribs - Payola 2002-2012
- This Week's Singles 11.02.13: Darwin Deez, Tempest Storm, Charli XCX, The Cribs
- Watch: Suede, Foals, Richard Hawley, The Cribs, Everything Everything live for 6 Music
- In Photos: The Cribs @ Sheffield Academy
- DiS Predicts: The Mercury Prize 2012 nominees
- Leeds Festival 2012: Drowned In Sound's Sunday blog
- DiS meets Johnny Marr & Nile Rodgers - "The greatest artistic motivator in music is jealousy"
- This Week's Singles: 09/07/12 Big Black Delta, Deco Child, Meursault, The 2 Bears