- The Dears »
- Bella Union »
The Dears' new single possesses that kind of achingly worthy, sub-epic mediocrity which could make any subject matter – in this case, achieving your life’s ambition – sound utterly uninspiring. Leaning heavily on long, drawn-out chords - the ones which’re probably meant to sound uplifting but actually possess an aura of unconvincing, drab sincerity - it harnesses their drudging, leaden dullness to reduce this potentially most inspiring of messages to blandness.
Not that the Incredibly Sincere vocal line assuring the listener that “The world is really gonna love you” (in case you hadn’t noticed, it currently hates you - you’re soooo misunderstood) needs much help to sound trite…
'Ticket to Immortality' has an aura of somewhat embarrassing earnestness: the kind which sees those who get too close to it wind up being sermonised at for hours about the wonders of the Macrobiotic Diet, or maybe Jesus. The kind you’d to go great lengths to avoid in any social situation. But fortunately for you, dear reader, all you have to do is press the Stop button. Thank heavens for modern technology.
- Drowned in Brighton #7
- The Dears - Degeneration Street
- Listen: Download The Dears - 'Blood'
- The fortnight that was: post-relaunch digest
- No Dears left: Murray Lightburn discusses 'split'
- Miserable Missiles: The Dears announce fourth record
- Bella Union's Birthday Parties: DiS gatecrashes the South Bank...
- WIN! Tickets to Bella Union's 10th Anniversary shows...