- Richard Hawley »
Richard Hawley wears glasses. He also played guitar on "Under The Bridge" by All Saints. Keen eyed readers will know he was also in The Longpigs. Perhaps most importantly, he's produced the year's most emotional record thus far. "Baby, You're My Light".
From the gentle acoustic arpeggio, to his maudlin voice, the slide guitar, the touching, emotive lyrics and the glorious swooping chorus, Hawley has produced a simple song, that, for want, of a better phrase, says so much. With a haunting croon, a tremelo bar & an echo chamber the size of the Mersey tunnel, he effortlessly conjures up the days when all songs were listened to whilst perfecting a curl of the upper lip, Hawley writes songs born of another era, an age of simple innocence.
"Baby You're My Light", is as moving as pop records get. It's power is in it's simplicity, the sense that all Hawley needs is a few chords and an average slightly jokey voice to create a song quite as emotive as this. A song for all the family.
All this from a bloke who used to be in The Longpigs? Jesus.
- Watch: Suede, Foals, Richard Hawley, The Cribs, Everything Everything live for 6 Music
- "I don’t believe in mumbo jumbo" - DiS meets Richard Hawley
- This Week's Singles 1.10.12: Alt-J, Pollens, Richard Hawley, Tilly & The Wall, Allo Darlin'
- In Photos: Richard Hawley @ City Hall, Sheffield
- Drowned In Nottingham #9: Festivals special
- Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge
- In Photos: Latitude Festival 2010 @ Henham Park, Suffolk
- Camera Obscura to release collaborative single with Richard Hawley