- Local Natives »
- Infectious »
la indie rock outfit local natives release their sophomore album 'hummingbird', the follow-up to their critically acclaimed 2010 debut 'gorilla manor'. while touring with the national during 2011, the five-piece decided to work with the brooklyn band's guitarist aaron dessner after long discussions on the road. the partnership blossomed and dessner pushed the band into new territory, full of energy, upbeat melodies and spontaneity. the songs on 'hummingbird' are fragile and powerful, opulent and spare, tense and poised and make for a startling album. shining opener 'you and i' is the album's calling card, bathing synthetic drums in warm organs and surfy guitars, and the band's signature sky-high harmonies. 'heavy feet' marries hand claps and sparse chords with a driving snare and one of the most remarkable choruses on the album. 'colombia,' written for a member's mother who passed away unexpectedly last year, is the album's swollen heart moment, a love letter from a son to a parent which grows in beautiful, orchestral complexity around a simple, plaintive chorus. like all of hummingbird, the song carries with it not just a melodic richness, but a quality of catharsis and grace - a moment to be examined and ultimately enjoyed.
description from www.roughtrade.com
- In Photos: Local Natives @ The Scala, London
- Local Natives - Hummingbird
- In Photos: Local Natives @ Hoxton Bar & Kitchen, London
- In Photos: Cloud Control @ The Forum, London
- In Photos: Constellations Festival @ Leeds University Student's Union
- The Fall, Local Natives, Tinchy Stryder and more for Summer Sundae
- Local Natives, Dog Is Dead at The Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Thu 25 Feb
- Watch: Local Natives - 'Airplanes'