- The xx »
- Young Turks »
rough trade exclusive with a bonus cd of three cover versions of kyla, womack and womack and aaliyah. the xx are four precocious 19 year olds from south west london who provide the hushed minimal strokes of young marble giants and early cure but through the minds of a young act obsessed with the r&b turns of ciara and aaliyah, having gone so far as to cover the latter's 'hot like fire' as the b-side for their first single, 'crystalised' and having first been picked up after recording a sensational version of womak and womak's 'teardrops'. having signed to xl sub-label young turks earlier in the year the band began to record with a host of the finest producers going, including brazilian giant diplo and up-and-coming hotshot kwes the four eventually settled with the option of recording at xl's in-house studio, with 'xx' eventually produced by the band themselves. this is an inspired, broken and uplifting record, packed with melancholic charms that recalls the suburban disillusion of the previous burial records and portishead's 'dummy'. this is a remarkable debut record from a remarkable new act.
description from www.roughtrade.com
- DiS Does Pop #13: What's the point of the Brit Awards?
- In Photos: Photographer's Favourite Images - 20 from 2012
- In Photos: The XX @ Brighton Centre
- Drowned in Sound's Favourite Albums of 2012: 100-51
- Electric Picnic 2012: The DiS Review
- September 2012: Editor's 10 Favourite Streams + Spotify playlist
- Bestival 2012: the DiS review
- In Photos: Bestival 2012 @ Robin Hill Country Park, Isle Of Wight