- Halls »
- Stereophonics »
- Bat For Lashes »
- Glass Candy »
- Chromatics »
- Exitmusic »
- Patrick Wolf »
- Stay+ »
- Cold Pumas »
- Deftones »
There is a lot of music in this round-up, partly because I haven't done one for a while, but mostly because there is a lot of great music around at the minute (IMHO, etc). This column is basically a round-up of the best of my inbox and social media feeds...
This is my tune of the moment. It's a gargantuan whale carcass of a song (some might say it's HUGE), that has a silvery-rainbow surface, but there's a thumpin' heart buried somewhere within it all. A heart that probably has a matte finish, but a heart nonetheless.
Spotify Playlist - October 2012
Started work in earnest on my October playlist, subscribe so you can see when I add stuff, if you so wish.
YouTube Playlist - 101 Minutes of Bliss
This selection of videos includes Exitmusic playing live for DiS, Grizzly Bear, Errors, Perfume Genius in his high heels, Deftones new track, and a surprise return from The Stereophonics that sounds oddly like Foals' 'Spanish Sahara'.
In his review for DiS this week, Marc Burrows concludes of PW's new best-of-like collection that:
Winter is coming and for the most part Sundark and Riverlight is an album for the dark and the cold, to get the full effect track down the vinyl version, not for dull audiophile reasons but for the comforting pop and crackle of a much loved record on an old deck. It should be allowed to cast its spell as the evenings draw in, a record for when the snows come and the night seems to go on forever, for duvets in the dark and candles. Ten years gone and Patrick Wolf is still with us. One day the mainstream is going to claim him and he’ll lose a little something, but for now he’s still the prince of the misfits and the martyrs, the waifs and the strays, Sundark and Riverlight is him at his distilled best, tears in his eyes, glitter on his cheeks, tragic, magnificent, ours.
His debut album didn't get the praise it perhaps deserved, but who I am to argue with an individuals opinion? Well, another individual, but at least I'm not one who edits a site and tells people what to write, as that would be a bit silly. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Halls, and he slipped a track up online this week ahead of the album's release (PSSST! You can stream the album in full over on FACT:
'Fade' is taken from the digital scultresses new album on RVNG Intl (same label as Blondes). Fans of Kate Wax's underworldly swarms of Knife-ish sound and Matthew Dear's playful throb will likely like this as much as I do. The full-length is called Movement and will be released on November 12th.
Johnny Jewel (Chromatics / Glass Candy / Desire / Italians Do it Better / Etc) is soon to unlock the trunk where the second After Dark compilation resides. Before that 'drops' here's a remastered version of the first After Dark compilation that he decided to throw up on Soundcloud as a timely reminder...
All Back No Front
Jon Hillcock has relaunched New Noise, as All Back No Front. His podcasts are filled with great new music, and who doesn't like a healthy dose of newness compiled in one easy to digest radio show? Fill yer boots:
All Back No Front #1 // 10.10.12
- Total Control ‘Scene From A Marriage’ (Sub Pop) single out 9th October
- Fantastikoi Hxoi ‘Dream Chart’ (Inner Ear) from forthcoming album ‘Fantatikoi ‘Hxoi’
- Cold Pumas ‘Sherry Island’ (Faux Discx / Gringo / Italian Beach Babes) from album ‘Persistent Malaise’ out 5th November
- Death Grips ‘Pop’ (-) from album ‘No Love Deep Web’
- Dam Mantle ‘Lifting’ (NoTown) from album ‘Brothers Fowl’ out 9th October
- The Soft Walls ‘Self Helper’ (Faux Discx / Suplex Cassettes) album out now
GUEST INFORMANT: Dan Reeves of Cold Pumas / The Soft Walls / Faux Discx
- White Fence ‘Long White Curtain’ (Woodsist) from album ‘Family Perfume Vol. 1’
- Majical Cloudz ‘Turns Turns Turns’ (Arbutus)
- The Weird Weeds ‘Side 1 Track 5’ (Sedimental) from album ‘The Weird Weeds’
- Sam Willis ‘Foxglissandro’ (Half Machine) from album ‘Winterval’ out 5th November
- Indian Handcrafts ‘Terminal Horse’ (Sargent House) from album ‘Civil Disobedience For Losers’ out 30th October
- Dark Dark Dark ‘Patsy Cline’ (Melodic/Supply & Demand) from album ‘Who Needs Who’
If that isn't enough, have a squizz at these and let us know what you think we should be listening to (JAGs welcome)
1) Andrew Bird playing a set in a boat above the thames - thespace.org
2) New band ioEcho get a video done by the folks from Black Swan - nowness.com
3) Godspeed!'s new album is streaming, but read this incredible interview transcript first - The Guardian
4) The Guardian is also streaming the new Bat for Lashes album
- Weekend Listening: Stay+, Patrick Wolf, Halls, Exitmusic, Stereophonics, Deftones
- Halls - Ark
- Weekend Listening: LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Tom Waits, New Look, Cat Power + more!
- Weekend Listening: Biffy Clyro, Halls, Grizzly Bear, Blondes, Perfume Genius covers Madonna
- In Photos: Exitmusic @ Camp, London
- DiScover: Halls
- Invite: DiS is throwing a party with Exitmusic, Halls and Dems
- Halls - Fragile