I'm not sure anymore which Damon Albarn project people get more excited about - Blur or Gorillaz. It should probably be Gorillaz, certainly now, because they've got a new album and all that coming out soon. That said, it's probably still BLUR. But that's all very much in the past now.
Being very much a virtual kinda band, they've always been pretty heavy on the visuals and computer generated content, so it's no surprise to see the trailer for their new album, Plastic Beach (albums have trailers now?! I know, mad shit), feature a giant Captain Scarlet-style residence. I dunno, though, maybe it's more Thunderbirds.
Not entirely sure what this achieves, other than even more gradual cranking up of anticipation. It's nice to look at and all, but MUSIC is what we're here for, right?
Anyway, their third studio album, Plastic Beach, will be released on March 8, and will is preceded by a single, 'Stylo', which came out last week. Full tracklisting, including featuring artists, is below:
- Orchestral Intro (featuring sinfonia ViVA)
- Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach (featuring Snoop Dogg and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)
- White Flag (featuring Kano, Bashy and The Lebanese National Orchestra for Oriental Arabic Music)
- Rhinestone Eyes
- Stylo (featuring Bobby Womack and Mos Def) 4:33
- Superfast Jellyfish (featuring Gruff Rhys and De La Soul)
- Empire Ants (featuring Little Dragon)
- Glitter Freeze (featuring Mark E. Smith)
- Some Kind of Nature (featuring Lou Reed)
- On Melancholy Hill
- Sweepstakes (featuring Mos Def and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)
- Plastic Beach (featuring Mick Jones and Paul Simonon)
- To Binge (featuring Little Dragon)
- Cloud of Unknowing (featuring Bobby Womack and sinfonia ViVA)
- Pirate Jet