Those Muse guys are pretty serious, right? Well, you might be forgiven for thinking that given their chosen musical direction but, in reality, they're actually a pretty decent bunch of human beings...and ones who are clearly up for a bit of a laugh every now and then, even at the expense of Italian television presenters and studio audiences.
See below for this particularly brilliant effort. Annoyed/bored/disgusted at having to play along to a backing track for this particular show, they decided to swap instruments and places for comedic effect, and it works.
Matt takes the stool, Chris takes over duties on guitar and Keyboards and Jenson Button picks up the bass and lead vocals. It'd perhaps be less obvious if he actually opened his mouth to sing, mind.
If anyone can decipher the interview taking place afterwards then help out. Some is audible but some isn't, being talked over by an Italian-English translator in the most annoying fashion.
Also, if anyone knows what the football game being played in the background during the interview is, we'd be happy to know, just to ease our conscience.
Anyway, here's the clip:
It maybe even beats Nirvana's effort from Top Of The Pops in 1991, for effort if not significance. The funniest part of the below performance is not Cobain's vocals but Grohl's drumming - see 2:26.
- In Photos: Muse @ O2 Arena, London
- The Insider: Doing it for the kids? How Radio One needs to get over its obsession with youth
- Muse - The 2nd Law
- Weekend Listening: Gwilym Gold, Jens Lekman, Erol Alkan, Patrick Wolf + lots more
- News Mixtape: August 2012 ft. Kate Bush, Pussy Riot, Tom Waits, Flying Lotus, Talk Talk, Kanye West
- This Week's (Olympic!) Singles! 23.07.12: Muse, Delphic & Keane
- Leeds Festival - A DiS Summary
- Leeds 2011: A Festival Diary