People should sign this whether they live in Brighton or otherwise, its a great place run by awesome people and is a staple of the live music scene for touring bands.
The Freebutt venue in Brighton is under threat of effective closure from the council. Please sign this petition if you believe that the venue should be given time to soundproof the building - http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-the-freebutt.html
A few recent gigs there: Dead Meadow, Washed Out, Vivian Girls, Shearwater, Japandroids, Wooden Shjips, Memory Tapes, Xiu Xiu....
The full story can be read here: http://savethefreebutt.blogspot.com, but the main points are:
* The Freebutt is currently under threat of closure by the Environment Health Department of Brighton and Hove Council for causing a public audio nuisance, due to complaints by just one local resident.
* the Environment Health Department of Brighton and Hove Council served a noise abatement notice upon the Freebutt in February 2010, expiring on 10th May 2010.
* During the term of the noise abatement order the Environment Health Department of Brighton and Hove Council recommended that the Freebutt undertake no further work to tackle the audio problem as the case may soon be dropped.
* Declaring that the audio levels from the Freebutt were still an issue on 29th April 2010 the Environment Health Department of Brighton and Hove Council demanded that the Freebutt either sound proof the building adequately or cease live music at it's current volume within the remaining 10 days of their noise abatement notice.
* The Freebutt acknowledge that there may well be an issue of sound bleed from it's premises but has been refused access for either themselves or impartial audio specialists under the supervision of council officials to have access to the complainants property to establish the problem areas and frequencies
* Without access to the complainants property their is absolutely no way that the Freebutt have any hope of understanding the problem at hand or finding a resolution.
* Reducing the Freebutt volume limiter is not the answer, any reduction in volume will deem live music in the Freebutt completely unachievable, forcing the closure of this historic musical hub as well as the loss of 15 local jobs.