- Gang Gang Dance »
- 4AD »
initial orders of the cd come in deluxe foil blocked digipak packaging. gang gang dance continue their compelling musical evolution with new album 'eye contact', the new york based group's first full-length release since joining 4ad. although together in their current incarnation for a decade, gang gang dance only really came to the public's attention with the release of the eps 'hilluah' and 'rawwar' and crucially, 2008's genre-bending long-player 'saint dymphna'. the latter in particular has come to be regarded as a landmark record in forward thinking pop circles, showcasing the group's love of improv and experimentation and drawing inspiration from the local new york art community with which the band have close ties. 'saint dymphna' also served to highlight previously untapped talent from the uk underground with a then unknown tinchy stryder providing vocals for the avant-grime track 'princes'. a pioneering piece of work, it - coupled with their incendiary high-octane live performances - served to establish gang gang dance as one of the most exciting and innovative acts of their generation. after a personnel change (tim dewit departed shortly after the release of 'saint dymphna', allowing drummer jesse lee to join the band), gang gang dance returned to the studio in 2010 with long-term collaborator chris coady (producer of 'saint dymphna' and 'rawwar', as well as recent releases by yeah yeah yeahs, zola jesus, beach house and tv on the radio) and work began on the group's fifth album. 'eye contact' sees the new line-up subtly build upon the melodic aspects of saint dymphna. the album opens with a brief speech, 'i can hear everything. it's everything time,' then segues effortlessly into the audacious eleven-minute slow-burn 'glass jar'. it's an ambitious beginning yet it is a coherent statement of intent. elsewhere, 'eye contact' features a guest appearance from alexis taylor of hot chip, whose signature vocals take centre stage on the track 'romance layers'.
description from www.roughtrade.com
- DiS staff name Low's 'Try to Sleep' the song of the year, so far
- Spotify Playlist: Drowned in Sound's Songs of the Year (So Far)
- Half-Year: DiS' 11 Favourite Albums of the First Half of 2011
- Listen: Lee 'Scratch' Perry remix of Gang Gang Dance's 'MindKilla'
- In Photos: Primavera Sound Festival 2011 @ Parc del Forum, Barcelona
- Future Everything 2011: The DiS review
- Spotifriday #91 - This week on DiS as a playlist ft. Kate Bush, Four Tet, Let's Wrestle + more
- In Photos: ATP Festival curated by Animal Collective