- Broken Social Scene »
- City Slang »
founded ten years ago by kevin drew and brendan canning, broken social scene very quickly established themselves as one of the most vital voices in independent music. assembled by drew, and made up of an assortment of musical friends, lovers, and strangers, the band emerged fully-formed from their hometown of toronto in 2002. they were an instantly engaging energetic entity: a tightly-knit community bursting at the seams with talent, personalities, incredible songs and many, many guitars. their albums - which were recently regaled on many 'best of the decade' lists for the 00's - were cinematic, critically-acclaimed splashes of concept and melody, marrying a dizzying onslaught of sounds with finely-crafted choruses. the band's ability to weave a plethora of voices, specific genre elements, and varied instrumentation into a brilliant postmodern aural pastiche launched them instantly onto the international stage. in producer john mcentire - a musical hero for many of the band's members - they found a fresh perspective on their own sound; this continued to fuel the creative process, resulting in nearly 30 songs written in and out of the studio, a number of which were put together as the first new broken social scene record in five years. the new record is, like all broken social scene albums, a record driven by love.
description from www.roughtrade.com
- Planet Gear: Eight And A Half's Culture Vulture
- DiS in the Desert: Coachella Festival 2011 Reviewed
- KC Accidental - Captured Anthems for an Empty Bathtub/Anthems for the Could've Bin Pills
- Win: Tickets to Feist documentary screening party
- Constellations festival: the DiS review
- Win: Constellations festival tickets + Leeds goodie bag!
- Drowned in Sound celebrates 10 years with a 2-hour takeover of BBC 6Music
- Listen: Hear four remixes of Broken Social Scene's 'All To All'