- Gil-Scott Heron »
- XL Recordings »
rough trade exclusive with a fantastic bonus 7 track cd - this is the only place you'll find these tracks on cd (including an amazing new live studio version of the classic 'winter in america'). without doubt one of the most important voices in 20th century music, gil scott-heron's landmark albums of the 1970's, and work with long-time collaborator brian jackson have influenced a myriad of musical styles from rap, acid jazz, neo soul and spoken word jazz. this latest album, expertly produced by xl founder richard russell, places scott-heron's keenly observed, biting spoken word narratives alongside sparse, modern musical backdrops which reference touchstones as diverse and relevant as dubstep, electronica and of course, modern hip-hop. politically as relevant as ever, as well as humourous, melancholy, and hopeful, this is the work of a vibrant, subtle poet of protest, still able to manipulate the traditions of a stylistic oeuvre he helped create into something warm, original and full of gravitas.
description from www.roughtrade.com
- Time to put the dog down? Why I'm going to miss HMV...
- News Mixtape: #3 ft. Tim Burgess (new video premiere), Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Death Grips...
- Stack chats with Bonafide magazine about Hip-hop, DIY publishing, Gil-Scott Heron
- In Photos: Bestival 2010 @ Robin Hill Country Park, Isle of Wight
- Gil Scott-Heron @ Somerset House, 14th July 2010
- Drowned in 2010: Q1 in a 101 song playlist
- Spotifriday #33 - This Week on DiS as a Playlist
- Gil-Scott Heron - I'm New Here