As has been said before and will surely be said again, M.I.A. knows what she's doing. No shrinking violet. You've got to hand it to her, this woman can really 'do' publicity. The last few weeks and months have seen her hire a blimp to fly over Coachella and advertise her forthcoming third record, as well as various bits of controversy surround an now-infamous New York Times profile piece. Oh, and then there was the 'controversial' video for 'Born Free'.
Some less-aware people may have even forget that she's got a new record out. Anyway, the good news update now is that you can hear bits and pieces of it, including a whole single track in 'Stepping Up', which can be streamed below (via Sheena Beaston).
There's also a remix of 'XXXO' floating about, featuring an appearance from none other than Jay-Z. That can be downloaded here. Elsewhere, more of the album - which has a name so ridiculous I am not going to it type again - can be streamed at 7digital. Some of it is a smidgen abrasive.
The Album comes out on July 13 via NEET Recordings. And features the following tracks and the most brilliant artwork ever seen, attached below:
- The Message
- Steppin' Up
- Story Told
- It Takes a Muscle
- It Iz What It Iz
- Born Free
- Meds and Feds
- Tell Me Why
Plus some bonus tracks.
- Drowned in Barcelona #4: Cruïlla 2012 feat. Iggy & the Stooges, M.I.A., ZA!
- Moving Pictures: Videos of the Year - 1st Quarter 2012
- M.I.A. gives Super Bowl audience middle finger, NBC apologise
- Watch: New M.I.A. video for 'Bad Girls'
- UK Festivals in Crisis? - DiS speaks to festival organisers who know otherwise
- In Photos: M.I.A. @ Brixton Academy, London
- M.I.A. at O2 Academy Brixton, London, Wed 10 Nov
- New York Week: A Guide to Brooklyn Venues