Cult three-piece Liars return in 2010 with their 2CD album Sisterworld, which features 11 originally composed tracks, as well as a remix/reworkings disc as a bonus, with interpretations from the likes of The Melvins, Thom Yorke, Bradford Cox and Blonde Redhead. Neat.
The artwork for the record had been kept under wraps for quite a while, which made us all think it could end up being something special, or at least different, and it certainly is. I'm not sure how to describe it fully, but thankfully we have a couple of visual aids to do the job for us.
Firstly there's a picture of Angus Andrew with it, doing what you're supposed to do with it. Apparently. Looks like more fun than that Yeasayer one, anyway, which I have to put in the bottom of my cupboard in a bag, lest any night terrors come my way. Mind you, I had to do that with the first Boyzone album, too.
Dunno what you're supposed to see. Maybe members of the band partially nude, their bits and bobs covered up by folds in the card?
Then there's the straightforward shot of the packaging, sans Andrew.
Finally, there's the 'visual aid', which is supposed to help you understand how to work the damned thing.
All of which makes for a pretty ambitious project, something we hope is reflected in the musical side of things, too. If you somehow manage to injure yourself in this process, you utterly deserve it. A sort of natural selection, type thing.
Angus Andrew, of the band, said of the album:
“On this project we wanted to help develop and expand the role of the remix, particularly to engage artists less acknowledged for their work in the field. They were asked to 're-interpret' the song by any means necessary and the result is definitely the most exciting collaborative effort we've been involved in.”
I'd totally agree, Angus.
The album tracklisting is as follows:
- No Barrier Fun
- Here Comes All The People
- Scarecrows On A Killer Slant
- I Still Can See An Outside World
- Proud Evolution
- Drop Dead
- The Overachievers
- Goodnight Everything
- Too Much, Too Much
The re-worked second disc of tracks runs down as follows:
- 'Scissor' - By Pink Dollaz, Lance Whitaker & Transformation Surprise
- No Barrier Fun - By Duetonal (Alan Vega / Suicide)
- Here Comes All The People - By Atlas Sound (Bradford Cox)
- Drip - By Kazu Makino (Blonde Redhead)
- Scarecrows On A Killer Slant - By Tunde Adebimpe (TV On The Radio)
- I Still Can See An Outside World - By Boyd Rice (NON)
- Proud Evolution - Thom Yorke 500qd Remix
- Drop Dead - By Fol Chen
- The Overachievers - By Devendra Banhart & The Grogs
- Goodnight Everything - By Melvins
- Too Much, Too Much - By Carter Tutti (Throbbing Gristle)
Sisterworld is released on March 8, through Mute. It's preceded by the first single, 'Scissor' which comes out February 15, and succeeded by a London show at Shepherd's Bush Empire on May 27. Click here to enter The Sisterworld.