Wax:On, Wax:Off: credit crunch kills festivals
The organisers of Wax:On Live have been forced to cancel the festival this morning, pointing a rueful finger the way of the “global financial market” and its precarious state of health.
Primal Scream, Hercules & Love Affair and Reverend and the Makers - pictured, upset - were all due to appear at the event at Lotherton Hall in Leeds next weekend, but it’s with “sincere regret” that organisers have had to pull it.
“The festival fell victim not to poor ticket sales or lack of support and dedication, but to the credit crunch that has the UK in the grip of an economic stranglehold,” read a statement released today.
Promoter Dan Blackledge explained further:
“On forming the company there were two streams of investment scheduled in order to ensure the event was viable in year one. This morning we have been informed that due to circumstances in the global financial market place and its knock on effect, the event has become unsustainable.”
“We send out most sincere apologies to all of you that have bought tickets,” Blackledge continued. “We threw everything we had at the event to try and make it go ahead and we’re really disappointed we couldn’t see it through.”
All tickets will be refunded at point of purchase, while scheduled Wax:On club nights will go ahead as planned in Leeds, Newcastle and Brighton.
DiScuss: do you buy the credit crunch excuse? Is Wax:On the victim of the global market or an overcrowded marketplace?
Got news? Email us at email@example.com
- Primal Scream - More Light
- Primal Scream, AlunaGeorge @ The Hospital Club, London, Thu 26 April
- "Kids aren't as political now" - DiS meets Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream
- My Top 10 live performances of 2012 by Dom Gourlay
- "We became seminal for doing nothing": DiS meets Debbie Googe of My Bloody Valentine
- Festival No.6: the DiS review
- In Photos: Jersey Live Festival 2012 @ Royal Jersey Showground, Trinity
- Jersey Live 2012: The DiS Review