Despite the birth of two regular columns, it’s a slightly stunted mailout this week, what with Drownloads taking the week off sick. Where do sick ‘bloggers go? Who knows. Probably Dante’s fifth circle. Still, there’s plenty of fun to be had, hedons – what with Morrissey and his dubious Greatest Hits collection, the new Mountain Goats album, an interview with fiendish technoids Autechre and five new British bands we think could takeover Radiohead’s mantle as the most idolised band in the Kingdom; respected, admired and loved in equal measure. OK, maybe fun’s the wrong word, but you’ll definitely come out the other side with bigger brains.
And, if all else fails, you could just hit up the Lovvers mixtape, take it to a house party tonight and play Hitler with the decks ‘til you get yourself sick enough on drink to spray spew over all those haughty boys fiddling nervously with their mobile phones. Taste my lumpy wrath, spod.
Drowned in Sound live
Jesus Deluxe, Her Name Is Calla, Exit Calm, Vessels, Das Disko
Nottingham Junktion 7
£4 adv from here; £5 w/ NUS; £6 on the door
Cutting Pink With Knives, Cadence Weapon, The Carps
London Barden's Boudoir
£6 adv from here; £8 on the door
Girls Aloud slagged off hipsters, northerners like it quicker, Public Enemy play a classic album in its entirety, Meet Me In St. Louis and Sailors split, headliners were confirmed for Glastonbury, a third of all chart hits are on drugs...
Festivals - SXSW, the Verve, Kings of Leon, Kiss, Judas Priest, Raekwon, Okkervil River, Motorhead, the Offspring, Leonard Cohen (Radiohead?)
Click here for a week in news…
Wild Beasts (Photo: Holly Eskrine)
A Week in Features
* Romantic wrongs: Guillemots embrace "chart-humping" R 'n' B on second LP
* Drugs, pop music and invented words: Autechre talk Quaristice and beyond
* 65daysofstatic: touring ‘til the tank’s dry
* Hoping for... sped-up power ballads? I Was A Cub Scout reveal their epic intentions
* Mixtape #5: Lovvers
* DiScover: Make Model
* The Weekly DiScussion: five new British obsessions?
Single of the Week
* I Was A Cub Scout: Pink Squares / Echoes
A Week in Review
* The Mountain Goats: Heretic Pride
* The Mae Shi: HLLLYH
* Earth: The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull
* Cass McCombs: Dropping The Writ
* Kap Bambino: Zero Life, Night Vision
* Simon Breed: The Smitten King Laments
* Morrissey: Greatest Hits
* Robots In Disguise: We're In The Music Biz
* Black Kids @ London Monto Water Rats, 06/02/08
Top Voted Board Threads
* What do YOU say to high street charity workers who want all your money?
…'Hey mate, you look like a nice, friendly guy!' / 'I'm really fucking not.'
* Describe your previous week in 3 words
…“Killed a horse”
* What was the first film you ever saw at a cinema?
…chances are it was the Jungle Book
* Underrated comedies
* Your top 10 bands of all time
…“1. The Fall; 2. Let's Wrestle… 8. The Velvet Underground"
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for back slaps and a credit...