Just got this emailed to me, It made me laugh:
I am assured by the various contributors that these are real standing laws from around the United States of America. I suspect some have been repealed, and a few may even be fictional, but I have no direct knowledge, so please don't take them too seriously - this is not a law manual! This is not in any way an attack on USA - other countries, including my own, have their share of stupid laws, and I may add some of them to this site in the future. Hope you enjoy these and remember, Law Enforcement is no joke!
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
2. It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
3. Putting salt on a railway track may be punishable by death. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
4. Boogers may not be flicked into the wind. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
5. You cannot chain your alligator to a fire hydrant. [Thanks to Ben Chastain]
6. Peanuts are not allowed to be sold in Lee County, Alabama after sunset on Wednesdays. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
7. You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
8. It is legal to drive the wrong way on a one way street if you have a lantern on the front of your car. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
1. You can't look at a moose from an aeroplane. [Thanks to Dave Knott]
2. Kangaroos are not allowed in barber shops at any time. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
3. Even though it is legal to hunt a bear, it is illegal to wake a bear and take a picture for photo opportunities. [Thanks to Kyle Brown]
4. It is an offence to push a live moose out of a moving aeroplane. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
5. It is State Policy that all emergencies are held to a minimum. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
1. It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in Arkansas [Thanks to Aaron Parmet for that one]
1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
2. It is illegal to eat an orange in your bath tub [Thanks to Meagin Caza for that one]
3. Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. [Thanks to Caleb Hicks]
4. A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits. [Thanks to Caleb Hicks]
1. It is illegal for a woman wearing a red dress to be out on the streets after 7 p.m. [Thanks to Molly Lane]
1. You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
2. You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
3. A pickle is not officially a pickle unless it bounces [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Emaloo5489@aol.com for that one]
1. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
2. A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
3. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
4. (SARASOTA) It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
5. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
6. In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal. [Thanks to Dave Knott]
7. It is illegal to fart in a public place after 6:00pm on a Thursday. [Thanks to John Andrews]
8. It is illegal to have sexual intercourse with a porcupine. [Thanks to Allison Neely]
9. It is illegal for a woman to bungie jump naked on Sunday before midday. [Thanks to Danny Giffen]
1. It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a lamp post.[Thanks to Saz for that]
2. It is illegal to take a bath of orange peel.[Thanks to Saz for that]
1. In Hawaii you will be fined if you do not own a boat. [Thanks to Renee for that]
1. It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.
2. It is illegal to eat in a restaurant if it is on fire. [Thanks to Kristofer SwÃ¤rdstÃ¥hl]
1. Bathing is prohibited during the winter.
2. Citizens are not allowed to attend a cinema or theatre nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.
3. In South Bend, Indiana, it is illegal to make a monkey smoke a cigarette. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at RudeBunny69@aol.com for that]
4. Men are not allowed to be "discernibly turgent" in public. [Thanks to Shannon Brouwer]
1. Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
2. It is a violation of the law to sell or distribute drugs or narcotics without having first obtained the appropriate Iowa drug tax stamp. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
3. A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
4. One-armed piano players must perform for free. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
5. In Dubuque any hotel in the city limits must have a water bucket and a hitching post in front of the building. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
6. In Indianola the â€?Ice Cream Manâ€? and his truck are banned. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
7. In Fort Madison the fire department is required to practice fire fighting for fifteen minutes before attending a fire. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
8. In Marshalltown horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
9. Within the city limits of Ottumwa a man may not wink at any woman he does not know. [Thanks to Nick Davis of Ottumwa, Iowa]
1. It is illegal to put ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas. [Thanks to Tyler for that]
2. In Wichita, at the intersection of Douglas and Broadway, all motorists are required to stop at the intersection, exit their vehicles, and fire three shotgun rounds, before continuing on their way. [Thanks to Tyler for that]
3. It is illegal to hunt whales. [Thanks to Mitch Moore for that]
1. By law, anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot hold onto the ground".
2. It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.
3. It is illegal to shoot game out of the window of a moving vehicle, with the exception of a whale [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Mauser151@aol.com]
4. A woman can not buy a hat without the husband's permission [Thanks to Mackenzie]
1. It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.
2. Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault", while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault".
1. After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at firstname.lastname@example.org for that]
2. You may not step out of a plane in flight. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at email@example.com for that]
3. Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at firstname.lastname@example.org for that]
4. In Augusta to stroll down the street playing a violin is against the law. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at email@example.com for that]
5. In Portland shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at firstname.lastname@example.org for that]
1. You cannot swear while inside the city limits of Baltimore.
2. You cannot throw a bail of hay out of a second story window in Annapolis. [Thanks to Kathleen for those two] Thanks to Heather Seek]
1. Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.
2. Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
3. An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
4. You may not, at any time take a crap on your neighbour. [Thanks to Chrisi C for that]
5. It is illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder. [Thanks to Leon Pool]
1. It is legal for the blind to hunt, and they don't need anyone with them. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
1. It is illegal to give or receive oral sex [Thanks to Kiersten Pencap for that one - but Ryan Rogers assures me it has been repealed]
2. It is illegal to walk across the Minnesota-Wisconsin border with a duck on your head. [Thanks to Martina A. Tuckner]
3. It is illegal to have sex in any other position other than missionary. [Thanks to Martina A. Tuckner]
4. It is illegal to drive a red car down main street on Sundays. [Thanks to Martina A. Tuckner]
5. It is illegal to have two or more forms of state issued identification. [Thanks to Ryan Rogers]
1. If an individual leaves his residence, or place of business, without the direct intent of injuring (killing) someone, they can not be tried for any offence. [Thanks to Les Easterling, whose friend was killed by a truck driver who escaped penalty thanks to this law]
1. A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.
1. In Newark it is illegal to buy ice cream after 6:00 p.m. [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Jorgelbori@aol.com for that one]
2. It's also illegal in this state to throw a bad pickle on the street. [Thanks to Zelda for that.]
3. In Berkley Heights you may not walk your cattle on the street on Sunday. [Thanks to John for that.]
1. Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
2. It has been outlawed for people to dance around a Sombrero. [Thanks to "Iridis"]
1. A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
2. Jumping off a building is punishable by death (this includes the Empire State building). [Thanks to Chrisi C for that and to Georgina for a correction to the wording]
3. It is illegal to shoot a rabbit from a moving trolley. [Thanks to Jacob Egloff]
1. Elephants may not be used to plough cotton fields. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
2. All couples staying overnight in a hotel must have a room with double beds that are at least two feet apart. Making love in the space between the beds is strictly forbidden. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
3. If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
4. It's against the law to sing off key. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
5. A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
6. In Barber, North Carolina fights between cats and dogs are prohibited. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
7. In Chapel Hill, North Carolina it is a misdemeanor to urinate or defecate publicly. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
8. In Charlotte, NC, woman must have their bodies covered with at least 16 yards of cloth at all times. [Thanks to Adam Bowers]
9. If a man and woman who are not married to each other live together "lewdly and lasciviously" they can be fined $1,000 and be sentenced to up to 60 days in gaol. This 200 year old law is still actually enforced! [From a recent newspaper report]
1. Beer & pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
1. Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.
2. In Columbus, Ohio it is illegal to sell cornflakes on Sunday. [Thanks to an unknown contributor with a Hotmail address and JC in Ohio]
3. In Marysville, Ohio it is illegal for a dog to urinate on a parking meter. (There are no parking meters in Marysville.) [Thanks to an unknown contributor with a Hotmail address and JC in Ohio]
4. It is illegal to fish for whales on Sundays. [Thanks to Kyle Brown and JC in Ohio]
5. It is legal to throw a snake at someone but it is illegal to shake a snake at someone. [Thanks to Kyle Brown]
6. It is illegal for women to wear footwear of any kind with an open toe. [Thanks to "Iridis"]
7. It's against the law to kill a housefly within 160 feet of a church without a licence. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
8. It is illegal to get a fish drunk. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
9. It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
10. Owners of tigers must notify authorities within one hour if the tiger escapes. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
11. Riding on the roof of a taxi cab is not allowed. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
12. No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
13. It is illegal to mistreat anything of great importance. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
14. The Ohio driver's education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
15. Participating in or conducting a duel is prohibited. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
16. Breast feeding is not allowed in public. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
17. If you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
18. No person while operating a motor vehicle shall fail to slow down and stop said vehicle when signalled to do so upon meeting or overtaking a horse-drawn vehicle or person on horseback and to remain stationary until such vehicle or person has passed, provided such signal to stop is given in good faith, under circumstances of necessity, and only as often and for such length of time as is required of such vehicle or person to pass, whether it is approaching from the front or rear. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
19. Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
20. A police office can write you a ticket for leavign your keys in your car. But relax he will leave you a note when you can come get your keys back so long as you can prove it's your car and your keys. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
21. Bay Village - It is illegal to walk a cow down Lake Road. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
22. Bexley - Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
23. Canton - It is a misdemeanor to play any game in a public park without the Superintendent's permission. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
24. Canton - Electric fences are banned. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
25. Cincinnati - Anal intercourse is banned. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
26. Clinton County - Any person who leans against a public building will be subject to fines. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
27. Cleveland - It's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
28. Fairview Park - It's against the law to honk your horn "excessively". A grandmother was fined for honking her horn twice at her neighbour. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
29. Fairview Park - Items left on a tree lawn become city property. A young man was fined for removing an item from a tree lawn even though he had the owner's permission. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
30. Ironton - Cross-dressing is against the law. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
31. Lima - Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
32. Lowell - It is unlawful to run a horse over five miles per hour. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
33. Marion - You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
34. North Canton - It is against the law to roller skate without notifying the police. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
35. McDonald - Your goose may not paraded down Main Street. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
36. Oxford - It's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
37. Oxford - It is unlawful for a woman to appear in public while unshaven. This includes legs and face. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
38. Paulding - A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him. However, the reverse is not true, even if it's a police dog. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
39. Strongsville - Catch 22 is banned. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
40. Youngstown - You may not run out of gas/petrol. [Thanks to JC in Ohio]
1. Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.
2. Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
3. Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
4. It is illegal to kiss anyone of not purely American nationality on the 4th July. [Thanks to "Iridis"]
1. You must let your dishes drip dry. [Thanks to Martina A. Tuckner]
1. A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.
2. No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
3. If a motorist sees a horse coming down the road, the driver must pull off to the side of the road and cover the vehicle with canvas. If the horse is still scared the driver must get out of his car and take it apart until the horse isn't scared any more. [Thanks to an anonymous sender at MrsBassPlayer@aol.com for that one, and for additonal parts/correction my thanks to Patrick Heller]
4. In the Mount Pocono region any group of 5 or more Native Americans are to be considered a raiding party and may be killed on the spot. [Thanks to Ken DelRio for that.]
5. In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags (based on an Act of 1760). [Thanks to Dave Knott]
6. It is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
7. Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
8. All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
9. Every outlet or switch (which can be purchased for 59 cents) that is installed requires an electrical inspection fee of 1 dollar and 33 cents. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
10. It is required that a woman have a permit to wear cosmetics. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
11. Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
1. Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void. [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Mauser151@aol.com for sending that within 24 hours of my appeal for anything from this state]
2. It's illegal to purchase a garbage disposal made in Cape Verde under the State Constitution. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at Tf13337@aol.com]
1. It is legal to beat your wife on a Sunday morning on the steps of the state house. [Thanks to Ashleigh McGee for that one]
1. It is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso. [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Mauser151@aol.com]
2. Driving is not to be done while asleep. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
3. It is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
4. It's illegal for frogs to croak after 11 p.m. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
5. It is illegal to give any pie to fellow diners. It is also illegal to take unfinished pie home. All pie must be eaten on the premises. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
1. A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit.
2. It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
3. It is legal to commit a homicide as long as you tell the person when, and how you are going to kill them. [Thanks to Ashleigh McGee for that one]
4. In Houston you cannot buy beer after midnight on Sunday, but you can buy it on Monday. [Thanks to Jillchan25@aol.com for that]
5. There is an old law in Texas that states you are unable to tuck your pants into one boot unless you own ten or more cattle. [Thanks to Kitiara09@aol.com for that]
6. It is illegal to spit on the sidewalk. [Thanks to Kitiara09@aol.com also for that]
7. If two trains going in opposite directions on the same track meet each other, one can't move until the other does. [Thanks to Casey Le for that one]
8. It is illegal to carry a pair of wire-cutters in your back pocket. [Thanks to Matthew Harris of Texas for that and to Brandon Taylor-Nelson for a small correction to it]
9. In Dallas County it is illegal to own any realistic looking, phallic shaped, personal massager more than one foot in length. [Thanks to Matthew Harris of Texas for that and to Brandon Taylor-Nelson for a small correction to it]
10. In Corpus Christie it is illegal to raise alligators in your home. [Thanks to Dave Knott]
11. It is illegal to have an open container in a car. (It doesn't specify alcohol, it just says an open container.) [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
12. It is illegal to have anything protruding from your bumper unless it is attached with a chain (so bumper stickers are a no-no). [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
13. It is legal for the blind to go hunting as long as they have someone with them who isn't blind. (Compare with the similar law in Michigan.) [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
14. It is legal for a husband to beat his wife as long as he uses something no bigger than his thumb. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
15. When you are released from jail, you must be given a horse and a shotgun, if you request it. [Thanks to Chris]
16. It is legal to fire a gun at someone if they are handed it to them by the victim first. [Thanks to "Iridis"]
17. In Galveston, if you sit on the sidewalk, you could be fined $200. [Thanks to Cindy Neal]
18. It is illegal to milk another persons cow. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at Jss1078@aol.com]
19. It is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the 2nd story of a hotel. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at Jss1078@aol.com]
20. It is illegal to drive without windscreen wipers. You don't need a windscreen but, you must have the wipers. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at Jss1078@aol.com]
21. The entire Encyclopedia Brittannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor at Jss1078@aol.com]
1. Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each week -- on Saturday night.
1. All lollipops are banned.
2. A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town".
3. "It shall be unlawful for a candidate for office or for nomination thereto whose name appears upon the ballot at any election to give to or purchase for another person, not a member of his or her family, any liquor in or upon any premises licensed by the state for the sale of any such liquor by the drink during the hours that the polls are open on the day of such election." [Thanks to Christina Montosa for that] [This is in fact far less restrictive than the similar British law.]
4. It is illegal to deflower a virgin even on their wedding day. [Thanks to Andrew Davis for that.]
5. It is illegal to catch a fish by throwing a rock at it. [Thanks to Georgina]
6. In Seattle it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over 6 feet in length. [Thanks to Georgina]
7. In Seattle if a woman is sitting on a man's lap while riding a bus, train, or trolley, there must be a pillow between them. [Thanks to Georgina]
8. In Bellingham it is illegal for a woman to take any steps that are not in the backwards direction while dancing. [Thanks to Georgina]
1. No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions".
2. It is illegal to put an ice cream cone in your pocket on Sundays. [Thanks to Crystal M. Chandler for that one]
3. It is illegal to spit on any sidewalk which women may walk down. (The reasoning behind this law is back in the old days women wore the long floor length dresses and their dresses would drag through the spit!!) [Thanks to Crystal M. Chandler for that one]