As a special treat for you all, we will be playing our next international friendly at the spiritual home of Sunday league football, otherwise known as Hackney Marshes. Our opposition will be our good friends of the Chinese Community Centre, who we haven't played in an 11-a-side match since April 2012. That one was a 3-1 victory to us, although in the press it was described it as an ugly win, with both Lee and Loz losing it. Ho-hum.
Note that this game kicks off at 2 PM. And we play on grass. And Hackney Marshes is huge. And the exact pitch will not be announced until the day. So turn up early. At the Hackney Marshes Centre off Homerton Road, where our dressing room should be located. All very different from what you are used to, so try not be that guy (again).
As always with international friendlies, we'll have a proper FA referee, so bring your shinpads and practice those throw-ins.
The usual blurb:
- we play on a full-sized grass pitch
- there are changing rooms at the Hackney Marshes Centre (our team name should be on the door)
- Homerton Station and Hackney Wick Station on the London Overground Line are both located 1 mile from the Hackney Marshes Centre.
- Buses 236, 276, 308, W15 and N26 all run to the Hackney Marshes Centre.
- arrive at 1:15 PM for warm-up, tactics discussion, pre-match fags, team pictures, etc.
- kick-off at 2 PM sharp
- full 2 x 45 minutes and injury time + 15 min break
- normal FA rules, but with rolling subs
- shirt colour to be confirmed (but most likely red & white hoops)
- final team will be announced on the Thursday before the game
- 5 pounds per player will be collected on the day
- post-match analysis in The Adam & Eve pub on Homerton High St (on the way back to the station)
You know the drill by now: sign up below if you want to be considered for selection. Applications from specialists (i.e. goalkeepers) will be viewed favourably.
Sunday 18 May: regular 11-a-side (4 PM)
Saturday 7 June/Sunday 8 June: WV-HEDW tournament in Amsterdam
Sunday 22 June: regular 11-a-side (4 PM)
Sunday 20th July: regular 11-a-side (4 PM)