Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Nothing is gonna happen for the next few weeks at this point, so may as well ask now. How'd it go?
got new job
moved to London
went to Poland twice
did too many stupid drunk things
in summary: pretty good.
Moved to London and in with boyf
Got a cat
Got a new job that paid way more
Went to Poland and Paris
Didn't gain any weight
it's impossible for it not to be i think
+ bought a house (with 10 parking spaces bd)
+ went on a good holiday
+ nothing terrible happened
+ made some positive LIFE STEPS which should hopefully pay dividends over the next couple of years
- career stagnation
- some stressful bits
Moved to nice new flat, had some great holidays, eaten some good food, got a bit fitter.
Become a bit stuck in my job though, which means I perpetually have no money, which has to bring down the total score.
and offered a kind of role change/promotion... will probably say yes, because why not, but a bit unsure of it. Strange times.
are taken by people with no right to them?
I'm not dead, am I?
(this is a rhetorical question)
maybe a 3 actually.
but I didn't want to make a scene. I'll happily lurk in the background of your scene though, you pansy crybaby.
had Jose not come back.
remedy this next year, yeah?
started a new job which I'm still enjoying
went to Munich
best mate got married
saw some pandas at Edinburgh Zoo
awesome time at ATP
The years where you have to help a partner through a horrendous bereavement, which leaves you in both emotional and financial trouble, aren't usually notable for being great.
Hopefully things will pick up next year.
Thanks for the good wishes. Very kind of you :)
-Moved out of the bedsit
-Moved into our own home
-Went to Spain
-Went to Amsterdam - been wanting to go there since I was 15
-Mostly enjoyed my job
-Made a wonderful friend at work who also has a lovely husband who gets on well with my boyf
-Had loads of fun with friends, spent time with some awesome people.
- Went to some great festivals
- Saw some amazing bands
- Saw Paramore live
- Drifted apart from one of my best girlfriends though I'm hopeful we can get our friendship back
- Didn't see a few people enough
- Still not sure what I want to do career-wise
- Satrted losing weight early in the year but then put it all back on and now I think I'm the fattest I've been since college :(
Also in good:
My boyfriend is the best and I'm still so in love with him after over 6 years <3
for sure. Congratulations...
So I have 3 weddings to go to next year :D
+ moved to Brighton
+ got a job I love
+ moved in with my boyfriend
+ got asked to join The Cravats (and said yes, of course)
+ played in Paris, all over The Netherlands and Greece
+ bought a saxophone
- almost had a mental breakdown earlier this year
- played in Weymouth
i'm still in london
This year has been the least happy i have been, much better than i was earlier in the year but still i cannot wait to get the fuck out of 2013 and into 2014.
Onwards & upwards and all that!
but fuck this year to hell and back. Then fuck it again. Then set it on fire, kick it into a ditch and leave it to die. /10
2014 will be bonza x
I like your positivity in this thread.
The year before last was SHIT for me, but this year was ace - so this is what I'm predicting for you :)
+ First in degree
+ Countdown (first 8 games)
+ journalism work experience and might be helping research an upcoming Panorama
+ amazing first 5 months with ex-bf
- dumped by ex-bf out of the blue... haven't really recovered from this :(
- moving back home has been shit. lack of jobs means graduated friends have basically all gone back to uni to do Masters, or moved elsewhere. plus I live in an area with absolutely f-all to do, and my family drive me CRAZY
- Countdown QF
- gerbils died :(
I feel I should be happier about the good stuff and less sad about the bad stuff, but I just feel a bit deflated overall really. quite a few people from uni have post-graduation depression, but seeing as I didn't really enjoy uni I'm not sure why I have it
I'm going to be really generous and give it a 4. Don't think it deserves that high a mark to be honest.
+ finished medical school and smashed the exams
+ moved to London and settled pretty well
+ new friends, old friends
+ great 2 weeks away in the summer
+ enjoyed work most of the time (except when it's been super stressful)
+ was seeing someone for like 3 months which was a really good time even if it didn't work out
+ definitely improved my fitness this year
+ lots of other good stuff like gigs, sport, etc.
Negatives, meh, there were one or two but whatevs.
July and August this year were two of my all-time favourite months, too, they've already acquired that hazy nostalgic tint in my mind that the best summer months have.
I'd love to do it on a more regular basis next year, but the sad fact is that I will pretty much never leave work early enough to get to Victoria Park for anything close to 6 :(
I still have to give the year a 9.5:
- went travelling Jan - Mar
- got married in April
- moved out of London the next day
- went freelance and actually doing quite well
- set up a social enterprise
- made some new friends
- got a bit fitter
Only downside is I am missing a lot of people but fuck em who cares.
But objectively it was more like a 7. So I dunno.
+ Got married
+ Moved into a house
+ Feel better about my personality
+ Finalised chartership application
- Family member dear to me passed away
- Ran out of money due to getting married
My lad has had a good year
Derby look like they might actually be promotion material
Had some awesome sex
Lost my job
Lost my woman
next year will be a good one
and the very worst of times, really.
Niece was born, went to south america for a bit, moved back to scotland, did some good dancing and loving and caught up with lots of friends.
I'm unhappy at work though and broke and I'm starting to worry that I might be ill too, so next year I'm going to be looking after myself a bit better and spending less time stressing about others. Yeah, great 2014 resolution be more selfish.
Not giving it a number yet because it's ot over till the fat lady sings.
And there's nothing wrong with spending more time on yourself - goodness knows you put yourself out for everyone else so why not x
It feels like it's been a pivotsl year- just too much to take in really. feeling like I need some downtime (although I have the crashing fear after K's b'day weekend in dublin, so I'm probably just talking shite and will be fine again tomorrow).
I'm coming to look after you on the 10th xx
Live you too <3
+ first half of the year was still living in spain, generally having a brilliant time and going to a ton of cool places
+ second half of the year moved back home and into a great new flat with a flatmate who has become one of my best pals
+ spent the summer doing a job i quite enjoyed with nice people
+ started my masters and made some new friends
+ ended a five year relationship that i was no longer very happy in, and (unexpectedly and wonderfully) managed to avoid much anger and bitterness, both quite quickly realised it was the right decision, and so far have managed to stay close friends
- ended a five year relationship kinda has to go in here too, and the inevitable worry that i'll never find anyone else
- my vague career plans of doing a PhD and going into academia have pretty much been destroyed by the full realisation of how appallingly lazy i am and the fact that i probably don't like reading enough, and i have no other ideas for what to do with my life
- general ongoing neurotic worries about being quite terrible at developing/sustaining close friendships and suspecting people don't like me that much, but that's quite a stable year-on-year worry
No particular massive stand-out, but I have been very fortunate this year.
+ Spent first 3 months of the year in Cape Town
+ Spent the rest back in London
+ Got really lucky with getting a nice house
+ One of the best years for live music I've ever had
+ My daughters get more amazing all the time
- Ankle injury has prevented me running, so put on a lot of weight that is proving difficult to shift. Plus I really miss running.
- I'm a North London snob who now lives in South London
+ Got myself a new nephew
+ Went to Uganda
+ Other great trips to Amsterdam and Torquay
+ Living with the gf
+ Utd romping to the title
- Really stressful year for gf/family a bunch of different reasons
- Work was a bit of a bastard this crunch
- Fergie going :(
+ moved into my own flat
+ enjoying most aspects of work
+ rekindled old friendships
+ saw more of my cousins
- think 2 of my friends are borderline alcoholics
- anxiety issues related to work/friends
- car problems
- still crushingly single
- been getting really down sometimes and I don't know why.
You have broad horizons to chase, you'll be a-okay
apols, shucks, apols
+ did a couple of triathlons, after havering on for a decade about doing one one day
+ smashed my eight year old 10k PB after struggling to even match it in the first half of the year
+ continued steady weight loss
+ less skint overall and half way to being back in the black
+ new job (for less money, but) with actual career-ish prospects (and is 20mins walk/5 mins cycle away instead of over an hour's drive each way)
+ a couple of relaxing holidays
+ sister got married
+ bro-in-commonlaw had a kid
- drank less booze
- ate less food
- went to fewer gigs
- bought, and listened to, less music
- still cocking about on here, and spending too much time faffing around on the internet doing not very much at all
AND FAPPABLE. AT THE SAME TIME. AND FITZ AND OTHERS.
AND WISHPIG RIP BUT I THINK THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN LAST YEAR.
AND NOW I'M NOT 100% SURE IF IT WAS FITZ.
put on weight, realised most friendships i have are pointless, lost any semblance of a creative streak, david moyes
and years could pass
Yeah that sucks.
That's kinda what has happened with oneof my close girlfriends ever since she's been with her fiance.
daughter's anxiety problems
bond between friends growing as a result of aforementioned suicide
hanging out with wife in Manchester all the time drinking cocktails now kids can look after themselves
generally just being annoyingly upbeat
family just being generally awesome
frightened rabbit album
+ I now own a house
+ changed jobs
+ taken up martial arts again properly after a fitful start at the tail end of 2012
- still have a tiny room, since I don't/can't live in said house, I like my housemates but I need some space maaaannn
+ no-one died
+ have a couple of new, good friends
+ moved into a nice new flat
- work is shit
- home is up and down
- landlord from nice new flat has given us notice unexpectedly so need to find a new place sharpish
I think the last one will be resolved by the end of the year so room for my score to go up to a 9 or down to a 1 I think.
* I think the SECOND last one will be resolved
Some good stuff happened and around the middle of the year it all looked great - amazing holiday, new job having left my last after years of stagnating.
Then yeah I've bored you all with the health stuff brought on by the new job. Triggered anxiety I hadn't suffered from since I was a teenager. Panic attacks at my desk. Having to take beta blockers and waiting to start CBT. Generally being a mess. Finding everything really difficult. Probably going to lose my job in the new year. Absolutely piling on weight after I'd been so good post hospital. Increasingly looking at my drinking thinking *Is this the kind of person I should be?*. Have had a few incidents recently where I've been so drunk I have no control of what I'm doing or memory of what's happened and been a complete cunt.
Wish I could press the reset button on the whole thing. Just want to forget most of it
sorry to hear it
It will get better.
We've had a bit of a fraught relationship for a while as he'd moved away and I got sick of being the one who made the effort and being let down. It had gotten worse as he was suffering from serious depression. He dealt with this by trolling people on facebook. I one day told him to pack it in and it all massively escalated.
17 years of friendship ended with a facebook message *well don't worry, I won't be bothering you any more*
I'd say we should get a drink when I'm back over Christmas but not sure that's a great idea given what we've both said
Shit, actually I really need to plug that
hence back in Paris for NYE. Shit, actually I really need to organise something for that.
New job - 15 min commute/benjamins/career prospects
Work & play in Morocco, France, Holland, Spain & Portugal
Lots of amazing gigs with an amazing girl
Did Tough Mudder & found it not so tough
Saw Sean from a distance in The Borderline
- still not got a tweet from Dave Benson Phillips
- getting hairier
- ending the year with some niggling injuries
+ Got engaged
+ Bought a massive house
+ Got an awesome guitar
+ Recorded an album with my band which was the most fun week ever.
+ Went to Malaysia, stayed on a yacht.
+ Going to the US for Christmas + New Year
+ Edinburgh festival was great. Especially Knightmare Live.
- Fallen off the wagon a bit with fitness stuff since the gym refurbishment
- Didn't tour this year
- Job still a bit meh.
- Stupid anxiety problems and still on meds.
maybe a 9.
Loads of good stuff, some very, very objectively bad stuff but then coped pretty well with the bad stuff so...two thumbs up but only a half-hearted grin.
think I will do another one
Jokes about the DIS demographic aside, it is a fairly damning indictment of modern city life, no?
The sensation of anxiety obviously isn't anything new, but the concept of it is.
I guess living in the safest, most secure period of human history to date has given us enough time to open a whole other can of worms. It's bizarre and terrifying.
+ It has been the drunkest year of my life
+ Went to New York
+ Done a bit for Amnesty International and have had some music articles published.
- It has been the drunkest year of my life
- Broke up with my girlfriend
- Got mugged
living at home with parents doing tedious retail jobs waiting to go back to uni.
Nothing massively bad just BORING ALL THE TIME
coasting through life same as always
- Successfully found gainful emploi
- Lots of travel, with work and otherwise (incl. finally making the pilgrimage to Berghain)
- Discovering the beauty of vinyl thanks to investing in a gorgeous hi-fi.
- Some really good sex
- Spiralling into deep, long troughs of existentialism and motivation less ennui. Depression, pretty much.
- Despite earning more money than ever before, still broke just before christmas. Like every year prior.
- Some really terrible sex.
- Breaking up a three and a half year relationship
- Pretty sure I have spent the past six months regressing. Too much excess and hedonism.
- Breaking my PB for 20k and nearing that 1h30 barrier. next year...
- Realising that I am a pretty terrible friend and feeling very isolated/lacking friends who share interests and passions
:D you knob
But seriously feel like I'm putting short-term gain over long-term happiness in terms of what I'm spending my spare time doing and it's destabilising me a bit
ie pm pickledoeuf
liked my job and flat
then quit in a huff and my flat got sold
had to move back home
Couldnt be bothered to get a job
Ran out of money
Got an okay job
met some girls but they didnt really seem interested
Variable / 10, things could be worse
- Had a job which actually made me hate myself.
+ Lined up new employment on the sly, a job i actually enjoy, and left my fucking horrible bosses in the lurch by leaving without notice.
+ Seriously cut down on the non-weekend boozing.
- Spend every weekend drinking heavily
+ Joined a gym in January
- Went three times between then and now, once just to use the sauna.
+ Got the occasional sniff of ladyparts
- Managed to quickly scare off probably the hottest bird i'll ever meet, probably in part due to using phrases like "got the occasional sniff of ladyparts".
- Losing the FA Cup Final
+ David Moyes!
1) had to move out of awesome shared flat before the summer, where i'd lived for three years
2) moved back with my mum before the summer. still here
3) work contract expired
4) can't get a decent job (although i have a new interview coming up tomorrow)
5) still single
it hasn't been ALL BAD, but those are the things that spring to mind right now
maybe, uhhhh, 5/10?
+ cycling in the Pyrenees and from Paris to London
+ had a good July and August
+ promotion at work
+ decided to stop renting and start saving for a deposit
- my girlfriend is the other side of the world and it's tough. She's not back until August.
- living with my parents while I save for this deposit
- I'm not enjoying this job as much as I thought I would and my boss is pretty shit.
And that's being generous
Hoping for a 2014 that features less bereavements and a pot of gold to fix this shitty webcunt.
+ got a new job, which is tough but has PROSPECTS and all that
+ little'un #1 started school in september. She has some special needs (which I won't go into here) but it meant she had a crap time at nursery. however, she loves school; everyone there is friendly, inclusive and wanting her to succeed. I'm going to her first school nativity tomorrow; can't wait
+ little'un number two is lovely too
+ generally met nice people this year; got work/life balance right. found new drinking buddies.
- could do with a little more money and a little more sleep.
+ absolutely nothing noteworthy has happened in my life this year.
- absolutely nothing notewothy has happened in my life this year.
+ work going pretty well
+ actually having a break this summer for the first time in three years
+ tackling my anxiety & depression issues and winning (so far, so good)
+ getting fitter (hitting the gym at least four times a week)
+ giving up alcohol
- not being able to see my good friends dotted around (and out) of the country as much as I'd like to have done for various reasons
- sheffield wednesday being utter rot
- the depression and anxiety issues that plagued the earlier part of the year
- >tfw no serious gf right now
far better than last year, and hopeful of more improvement next year.
Went to LA which was incredible, got a new job and out of a place that had caused undue misery for the majority of the year (and previous year). New job is ok but stressful and requires a lot of commuting to somewhere that has nothing other than my offices in it so jury is still out on it I guess. Put on weight and was in hospital a few times as well as other things, but have been mostly healthy and have played my first year of DiS football.
Looking forward to 2014 and what it brings.
+ went to shitloads of gigs/festivals
+ think I have a clear view of what I want to do in life
+ family is still in good health and so am I
+ think I've finally sorted out my frame of mind
+ watched loads of brilliant TV
- still fat
- still hate my job
- still haven't found anything close to companionship
- still not a footballer
- live in a house with bellends
+ went freelance and got lots of work
+ got together with the gf
+ got a band off the ground
+ started running regularly and got fit
+ went on a couple good holidays
+ cut down on drinking
- didn't get enough work done on my own projects
- meant to save some money but didn't really
- watched way too much law & order
+ one year of a wonderful relationship with a wonderful lady
+ four foreign holidays, all of which were awesome
+ did heaps of things to celebrate turning 28 i'd never done before, from archery to going to Brighton to eating a guava to giving blood. really really rewarding and i'm still not done
+ finally got a handle on my depression
+ solidified most of my friendships
+ have achievable and exciting Plans And Goals for 2014
- falling out with one of my hitherto best friends
- not losing enough weight
- work was looking a bit peaky in the middle of the year (resolved now though)
I, too, am smug about this year. Hurrah.
Had top bants at Primavera
Didn't lose my job
Didn't get fat
Went to Copenhagen
Finishing the year in a cottage in South Wales with my all time dogs
+ Bought a house
+ Job was exciting at the start of the year
- Just felt a bit low & lost for no reason most of the time
- Job started to feel a bit pointless in the 2nd half
- didn't get pregnant :(
feels quite good to get this out though
Started the new year in Mexico with wonderful friends and husband
Went to NYC and saw my friends who live there
One of my best friends got married and I got to be best man
Booked to go to Australia in March
Finally realised I don't enjoy going to gigs that much anymore and all the more happier for it
Read a lot more
Not so good
Still in the same flat / job / financial misery which given I'm 30 in about 15 months is starting to make me thoroughly miserable
Didn't make any new friends
Burnt bridges with some old friends which was a lot messier than I would have liked
Still not rich, basically
- Celebrated 10 years with my wife and our relationship's better than ever
- Went to Glastonbury and Primavera Porto and had a brilliant birthday party with loads of my friends to celebrate turning 30
- Two really good friends got married and the stag do in Berlin was brilliant
- Made some music I'm really proud of for the first time in ages
- Started going to the gym
- Finally saving decent money towards a mortgage
- Met loads of interesting and ace people, and got back in touch with a few lost old friends
- Still drinking far too much
- Slightly plateauing at work despite how much I'm enjoying it