Bored of the boring sports you follow? Bored of the moaning about the most innocuous of passes? Bored of the moaning about the tiniest broken bone?* Have a bit of free time on Sundays?
[*note: there is occasional moaning in MotoGP, but it's at least somewhat justified by the fact that they're essentially risking the life/health in every corner. still, less moaning than is seen.... elsewhere...]
It begins TODAY:
(Interested? Want a favourite rider? The four with close-ups are the ones with a real change of regularly winning races. Jorge Lorenzo, Dani Pedrosa, Valentino Rossi & Marc Marquez - in that order.)
Reasons to watch MotoGP in 2012:
1. Marc Marquez in his rookie year. Okay, I'm more than a little bit biased on this point. But not only is Marquez extremely fast, but he's also already (on the basis of a few tests) starting to rewrite the manual on how to ride motorbikes. Okay, you've (probably) already missed the excitement of his years in the feeder classes, but you can start from the beginning with his MotoGP career. JUST A LITTLE BIT EXCITING, REALLY.
2. Valentino Rossi back at Yamaha. Two years of disaster at Ducati, and now back to the championship winning team. Not consistently fast at the tests, but was right up the top on a few occasions. The atmosphere at races should get pretty intense this year.
3. Pedrosa v Lorenzo... probably. Will it be a 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way championship battle? Essentially everyone expects it to be a case of Lorenzo v Pedrosa, but... who knows? If Marquez doesn't crash... If Rossi can find his old form and desire... Even a 2-way battle will be interesting - Pedrosa absolutely HAS to win this year. Or else has to be beyond unlucky in not winning it.
4. Cal Crutchlow. The top British guy is actually really likeable! Crazy, right? Good chance of a few more podiums this year. Three Brits in the class, two on a team capable of getting podiums. Other Brits in Moto2 & Moto3.
5. "Team orders"...? What is this "team orders" thing you speak of? Laughed at the ridiculousness of the last F1 race? Welcome to a world where teammates can have a final lap like this: http://youtu.be/fcU17zRMBEA?t=3m25s
6. Moto3 & Moto2 are bloody good entertainment. Okay, MotoGP isn't always the most exciting spectacle (though I think will be much better this year than 2011 & 2012), but nearly every race in the feeder classes is pure excitement. Look at the list of riders, select a random teenager, and watch as they come from 26th position to take the lead on the fifth lap only to throw the bike into the gravel three corners later. Repeat for every race.