Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
she was only 18
sounds like a cat_race fuckup. Was it cat_race?
but I would not really wnat a smoking cocktail. Yuck. It's all a bit silly. Poor girl though- you generally trust a baretender not to fucking poison you :(
I was thinking, christ I'd never do that, but given that it was at a bar, it wouldn't have been the first cocktail of that sort made at the venue and my propensity for trying the oddest thing on the menu, i'd have presumed it was safe and would've had a glug!
awful story :/
Using liquid nitrogen is just weapons grade stupid.
And it's not that it's toxic (80% of the air!), it's that you're ingesting a liquid at -195 C that's going to expand 700 times in volume when it hits your stomach.
DON'T DRINK IT!!!11111
it is major bants
right before it melted a hole in her stomach, that is
nah mate, pumped? thats nowt cheryl had to have her stomach amputated or she might have died
."Doctor John Ashton, director of public health for Cumbria, said: "This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that's now competing on gimmicks.".
question - why the fuck is it used in cocktails if it can rip your stomach to shreds?
also - i have learned today that it's possible to live a relatively normal life without a stomach.
I like the bit where they explain that when nitrogen hits the stomach lots of air is released. Eh, no, lots of nitrogen is released. Because it was a bunch of nitrogen that was just ingested.
(yes i know alcohol is a poison but you know what i mean)
i dunno - maybe if i understood how this drink could ever be safe, and what went wrong, i'd be in a better position to comment.
But given the near-certainty that it would go a bit wrong at least once, I agree that it's monstrously, stupidly unsafe.
11 minutes ago
What we have here is a case of a balloon popping. Miss Scanlon imbibed her nitrogen-laced drink very quickly, before allowing the nitrogen to boil off, and so the nitrogen began expanding in her stomach. She was apparently unable to burp, which can happen when the gas expands too quickly. This lead to the tearing of her stomach walls. Her reporting difficulty breathing first, and then incredible stomach pain supports this.
What I have an issue with is the amputation of her stomach. The doctors should have been able to bypass her stomach temporarily and sutured the tears. Removing her stomach completely sounds to me like NHS incompetence.
it might have been totally ruined beyond repair
Probably a consultant gastroenterological surgeon at a hospital that's so prestigious none of us have ever heard of it.
But I think I have Oesophegeal cancer. So you all need to be nice to me.
Docs don't know what it is yet. Doctors ar great, aren't they? Well done, doctors.
sounds a bit shitty. hope it's nothing too bad :)
I'm a fucking joy to work with.
She couldn't burp (I have a friend who can't burp, he used to have to make himself sick sometimes if he had loads of burps built up). Add in a quickly downed shot with still liquid nitrogen in it and you have a huge buildup of gas which popped her stomach. So not really her fault and not really the bar's fault. I think these shots will stop being sold anywhere pretty much immediately. It isn't the end of the world, I assumed she would have to be fed through a drip or something, but she just needs smaller meals and more vitamins. A bit like someone who has had a gastric bypass really, she will probably always be skinny at least.
i know a bunch of folk who this the guy is an amazing writer but stuff like that convinced me that my friend who used to say that chuck is just a tired old shock merchant who'll say anything to be outlandish because he can't tell a proper story might be right
and yes, maybe that's true. but i enjoyed it regardless. i probabl
It's a ludicrously unsafe thing to be selling for human consumption, whether or not it's accompanied with instructions to let it sit for a minute first.
because the gas expanded so quickly it blew her stomach relieving the pressure that way rather than via a burp