was just reading about that American lottery what was won last night. crazy figures, mayn. three winners, apparently, splitting $640m.
thought it was quite interesting that...
- you pay around 25% tax on any winnings over $600. 30% if you're a non-US citizen. madness.
- being in possession of a winning ticket means you legally own it. nothing by way of protection for stolen/lost tickets as i'm pretty sure we have.
- no right to annoynimity for jackpot winners 'cos of promo shit. in a way it must be fucking terrifying to be worth tens/hundreds of millions, in terms of the whole world knowin', etc. still...i guess you can just hide in your gold mansion behind a WALL OF STEEL.
- $2 for just the bonus ball. nice.
- the stores the winning jackpot tickets are sold at get $100k themselves.
to make this a bit inclusive for you virgins, i read that the winner gets an option of 100% of the prize over 25 years, or 65%ish in one lump sum. which would you go for? the former for me. don't think i could spend £25m in a year anyway.
a second question - apart from the boring stuff, like buying a house, car, travelling, sorting family out with cash, pretending you'd give some to charity for backslaps, etc, would you use any of the money for genuinely interesting stuff, like, say...trying to become an ultimate fighting champion, or atttempting to break the world record for building the largest man-made island, or any other obscene and completely unecessary bouts of public willy-waving? i probably would.
^ great thread, champ.