Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Just say "yes" and I'll take your word for it.
or is it some trick/impossible?
It's good. Feel better about yourself.
Because this page is blocked at work.
1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.
THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?
1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.
ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 19th CENTURY.
With a diagram with lots of lines
There's a hole in the ground...
Did anyone else do these puzzles as a kid? http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w47/Swair/LogicCover.jpg
Not done that for aaages. Do those books even still exist? Bet they've been killed off by bloody sudoku.
thinking 'LOGIC PROBLEMS'
like squinting at the crossword and saying `crossword!`.
"Crossword" might be the answer.
this is bullshit.
*points and sulks*
He sure is.
rearranged them until it worked.
but it took me ages.
I AM THE 2%
Not too hard, probably took longer than it should have though.
I'm very impressed.
but it took a while and I had to use a pen and paper.
do I PM you with the answer to prove it? or havnt you got it yet?
but then i looked at it again and realised i missed a bit of information, so i did it again and everything was okay and I know who has the fish.
i just made an excel spreadsheet. it made everything much easier
also sceptical that 98% of people can't do it.
No to the latter.
im going to give it another go.
PEOPLE ARE STUPID. GET WITH THE TIMES.
But i would have thought most people at degree level in anything that requires logical thought or reason could do this plus anyone else who has good logical thought.
That is why 2% seems low.
Another possible explanation for the 2% figure is that in Einstein's day people were generally just a lot stupider/less rational.
took 15 minutes, thats bad isnt it
Took about 20 minutes and a very messy table.
I penciled five little houses and went from there :) took about 30 - 60 minutes as i messed up half way through first time around.
Just to make some of you feel really good about yourselves I've given the problem to sleepy Year 10 students who also completed it
first going right to left (5th-4th-3rd-2nd-1st), and got it to work, but then tried it left to right and got it to work that way as well.