Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
is it nice?
Nice green spaces, as you'd expect.
That's all I've got.
Hardly any pubs due to its Quaker origins.
The original garden city houses are really pricey and full of rather snooty people.
used to get the bus through there a lot and there didn't seem anywhere to go.
For the latter it was largely down to the movement’s Quaker roots, but the New Towns were also driven by a rather paternalistic attitude that meant pubs were much less widespread than the rest of the country.
A lot of Welwyn (and Letchworth) still has covenants on it, preventing the opening of pubs, in a similar way that a lot of the areas in the West End of Newcastle does, (which is one of the main reasons why the Bigg Market became a street of pubs).
but way ahead of Letchworth
The Howard Centre.
Not as good as Letchworth Garden City.
probably heard the words, 'welwyn garden city' way too many times in the last 3 months.
as was David James.
Has a nice John Lewis and Waitrose, so my mum loves it. Otherwise, it's a bit crap.
It's fine for that long but you wouldn't spend much longer there as a tourist.
and The Subways
always instantly think of S*M*A*S*H whenever Welwyn Garden City is mentioned.
happy someone else mentioned them here first.
what a place.
Went out with a girl for 5 years from there. Here's the lowdown:
1) It's incestuous beyond belief.
2) It's full of "lads".
3) It's oddly small minded
4) It's a bit like Essex in the new-money-no-class kinda way.
5) The pubs are either smack-in-the-face rank or shit.
6) It's nice and green.
7) It has no soul.
8) It's where people in Hatfield go when they "do good".
9) Every house has a circular front window next to the front door.
10) The girls are pretty fit to be fair.
11) It's a no-mark town.
12) The schools are alright if you have kids.
13) It's easy to get into London (no-one does as it's incestuous).
14) Going out in Stevenage is a big night out.
15) Because of the schools "consortium" everyone knows and fucks eachother
16) One side is offices, the other side is factories
17) The Shredded Wheat factory used to be there and still smells nice when it's working
18) The is literally a roundabout on every single road
19) The Howard Centre is all it has for shops
20) It's ok, but really, coming up with 20 things was hard enough. It's a whole lot of nothing. Like a vacuum of nothingness.
from silently judging people on the First Capital Connect trains.
to every single town in Hertfordshire.
how about if you dont? hmm..
it seemed sunny and it hurt my arms and i bought some after sun cream and it felt cold on my arms but it didn't help me as much as i'd have liked and i still had to drive home, so that's what i did and there was traffic on the M25
and I was born there. Rather boring place, but has that odd sort of dreary fascination that most of suburbia has. Very pretty town centre too.