Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
I mean I'm not sure exactly what your point is, but plenty of people enjoy eating fruit & veg, exercising, not drinking much and avoiding cigarettes. Having experienced both, I'd say being healthy & fit is way more enjoyable than being a fat slob who smokes & eats shitty food & can't go an evening without a drink.
But on the other hand, I suspect most people who drink, smoke, etc. do so because they enjoy it. And would it be better if they were miserable and lived an extra few years or had fun and didn't? Personally I'd rather forgo a few years in a nursing home in return for having a better time whilst I was able to enjoy it.
which is obviously wrong in many cases. Once you get healthy, you don't necessarily miss the things that were making you unhealthy. And you can have better "fun" being healthy than you can if you're a wheezing fatty.
Also, it's not like the only downside to an unhealthy lifestyle is a shortened lifespan.
If it were just a case of "OK, I'll choose to drink & smoke, and drop dead 8 years earlier", then there'd be no problem. But what really happens is you start to experience chronic health problems way before you die, and there's your real fucking misery.
Especially with the cigs - emphysema and vascular dementia are way more common smoking-related conditions than lung cancer, and I'll take the cancer over them any day.
Bladder cancer is another big one for smoking. It might not kill you, but if you're "lucky" it'll just have you pissing in a bag for the last 20 years of your life, springing leaks in public, going in & out of hospital for chronic urinary tract infections and other conditoins related to suppressed immune system, not being able to travel anywhere because you're too worried about the toilet conditions, etc etc etc.
I dunno, I mean I'm not a joyless puritan and have spent quite a few years fucking myself up good & proper (even saying that makes me wince, it's such a health-Nazi cliche). But ultimately it's about quality of life not length of life, and with medical advances these days it's more & more likely that the cancer you get will not kill you outright, but drag you into a lengthy ordeal (maybe many years) of nasty treatment and expensive surgery and compromised bodily function and guilt at putting your loved ones through it all and intense regret that you didn't look after yourself better while you were "having fun".
health is the new morality.
I've just witnessed up close some of the results of self-induced health problems, and it really makes you reconsider the choices you make.
I think that being all righteous & trying to shame people off cigs or junk food or whatever is a waste of time.
But I'll happily tell anyone who cares to listen: believe me, you DO NOT WANT a slow death from some of these preventable lifestyle-related diseases. Hang out with a stroke victim or a cancer patient or someone with emphysema for five mins and you'll get the message.
then we probably wouldn't be anywhere near the level of cancer treatment we are currently at.
someone with it was the main reason I gave up smoking. Which I loved.
and we can all sit here as (relative) youngsters with an invincibility complex and suggest that it’s akin to health fascism, but speak to any older person suffering from the effects of poor diet, smoking, heavy drinking or lack of exercise and they’ll tell you how they wished that they’d been a bit more sensible in ‘having fun.’
Also, this is nice, isn't it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/dec/06/cancer-patients-welfare-work-tests
this is far more important than your health, wellbeing, quality of life
this is about THE ECONOMY, you communist.
Including the actual research, does it mention the number one risk factor with cancer: Age
The older you are, the more likely you are to develop cancer.
I heard/read something that said that your chances of getting cancer drop dramatically once you pass 70 or something.
Don't ask me to find the source, but.
Based on this link
But, its still 36% of ALL cancer diagnosis being in people over 75. Combine that with the 53% of all diagnosis in the 50-74 age group, a massive 89% of cancer cases are found in people over 50 in age