Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
I will be there this weekend for a birthday.
after dark, as long as it's with a bow and arrow?
Insider tip: it's pronounced Shroes-bree.
its called shroosbury
I don't know why people from outside started saying it weirdly. Really hardcore old man locals call it Salop.
because that's the exact opposite of what I was told by an old guy who didn't like people who lived in the town to commute to Birmingham.
I think the safest thing is to just avoid shooting welshmen wherever you are.
but the surrounding countryside is amazing
as I was going out with a girl who lived in a house, a very big house in the country, near Shrewsbury.
- Its a nice little town to walk around if you are 18. There's some nice architecture and a pretty little park and canal type thing. ACTIVITY : Go for a walk in the pretty little park down by the river. Try and find the rose garden.
- The KFC has a brown and black wood effect frontage because the more standard red front would have been an eyesore on the quaint cobbled high street. ACTIVITY : Eat some fried chicken and feel posh while licking your fingers.
- I bought a Fred Perry jumper from Shrewsbury TK Maxx for £8 which I wore pretty much everywhere for three years until it literally disintegrated. My mate Luke bought the same jumper for about £60 at the same time, and as a result couldn't wear it out anywhere for fear I might also be wearing it. ACTIVITY : Buy some excellent discount clothes that the locals just don't want.
- There used to be an independent CD shop there where the stock was no different to that of a charity shop CD section, except it was selling the Kavana album for £6.99. I'd imagine it probably isn't there any more. ACTIVITY : Attempt to find said CD shop. Predictably it was down the dimmest of back streets, kind of between the high street and the canal, I think?
- The football ground used to be called Gay Meadow, but they moved somewhere else. ACTIVITY : Find Gay Meadow and have a gay picnic.
- My band went back in 2008 to play a gig and it was a total disaster. Me and the new guitarist both broke strings on our guitars, and I ended up having to borrow an acoustic and finish the set solo. Half the (already small and disinterested) crowd walked out. I was such a mopey bastard that day due to memories of being 18 that the new guitarist quit the band after two gigs upon returning to London. ACTIVITY : Visit The Albert pub, get someone else to buy you a Strongbow and then only drink half of it, refuse to play darts, pretend to go to sleep on your own in the dressing room for two hours, and do your best to ignore everyone that tries to speak to you.
That's all I got for Shrewsbury.