So I was watching the original Daleks storyline last night courtesy of a previously unwatched birthday present from my Dad.
And I'd forgotten about how good the old Dr. Who shows 'could' be. I know loads stunk and were painfully sloooooow but when they were good, they were great.
And it got me thinking about things I'd like to see in future Dr Who episodes one day:
- Daleks being scary again. I'd love the team to return in time to Skaro and find a batch of those infected, freaky Daleks spazzing out shouting shit left right and centre. At least have the Daleks on a foreign planet or ship. To be evil, they need to kill lots of things or people, so setting it NOT ON EARTH maybe means they could do that. And they need to returned to their former glory days.
- Tension. There's not enough air in the new ones at times due to the 45 minute span. Sometimes there's about 25 minutes too much air in the old ones, but I do miss the zoomed in shots of someone standing terrified behind a wall for 4 minutes solid to wrack up the tension.
- B&W. It looks so much better in monotone. I'd love to see a one off, anniversary show where they lost the colour. For old times' sake.
- Bring back the Ice Warriors. Creepy and nasty, they'd make a great villain. Preferably in a poignant story set in 2173 when the ice caps are nearly all gone and they are unearthed at a polar station.
- More shows on other planets and not always with scary monsters. I know they'll inevitably be filmed in a quarry or cove but I do miss the wandering nature of Who exploring galaxies. Too many are Earth focused. And plenty of the best stories haven't even had monsters in them; look at Castrovalva or the Caves of Androzani.
- Explore the TARDIS more. There was allegedly one show where they spent the whole time wandering around lost in it. Imagine the fun you could have there!
- The 3 Doctors. Make it happen. Go on Moffat...
Right, end of geeking off. Your turn. Should you so desire...