Premise: Each episode depicts a session between a psychotherapist and his patient.
Why you should watch it:
1) It comes with the HBO Production Badge of Quality.
2) The structure is a little unusual. The show was originally broadcast as an episode a day, with each day focussing on the continuing treatment of one patient. In effect, each season contains five separate stories, which may or may not dovetail gloriously into one another.
3) As if the lives of the therapist's patients weren't compelling enough, it gradually becomes apparent that the therapist (Gabriel Byrne - who gets to keep his accent) may be as fucked up as his patients. Accordingly, the fifth episode of each week focuses on HIS session with an old collegue, which go on to inform his own sessions the following week.
4) Consequently, there are about 35+ episodes in a single season. There are currently three seasons. That, my friends, is value for money.
5) Because I fucking said so.