I've been to a lot of weddings in the last 4 years. It'll be 18 when October is over. And in that time, my girlfriends enthusiasm for them has waned somewhat.
Now obviously we're happy that our friends have found someone they adore and chosen to settle with, but bit by bit she's becoming fiercely anti-them and stunned by the stupidity / selfishness of people. Here are a few things we've witnessed in recent years:
• A couple who got married in their 40s decided they already had everything they wanted in life, so instead of a wedding list attached a bank account number on their invites so that you could transfer money into their savings to help them fund landscaping their back garden / installing a bit of decking.
• One person I know had a week long stag do out in Vegas. He was surprised when only 2 people could make it.
• To save money, a recent trend has been to get married on a weekday. I can understand Fridays I guess, but Thursdays?! We had to end up taking 3 days annual leave off for it.
• We know a married couple who are totally skint, can't afford to buy a place and haven't had a holiday in years. Yet they just paid out £12K for a wedding (largely made up of contributions from family and the groom's savings)
• We also know a couple who were already married but felt their initial affair wasn't lavish enough, so got remarried on the other side of the world at colossal expense and which has left them almost bankrupt.
• A good pal got married at a gorgeous Yorkshire retreat. The catch? Due to where it was you had to stay at the venue for two nights, at a bargain cost of £175 per person per night. Breakfast was extra, obviously...
I know that if you're ever going to be selfish then your wedding day is probably as good a day as any, but what do you think? Have they got out of control and lost the point?
(It's worth noting that I've also been to several superb weddings (my mate Loz's out in U.S.A, Hannah's uncles carribean steel band one, my work pals BBQ + disco up in his dad's farmland, a humble afternoon down the pub for another) and spent most of the day close to tears so I'm aware it's down to the person involved. But I want horror stories please.