Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
I'm going for a month.
I spent four months there this year......I travelled the whole of the south (kerala/tamil nadu/karnataka) main cities were bangalore, mangalore and mysore then went down to the southern tip (kanyakamuri) all the way up the west coast through: Kovalom, varkala, gokarna,Palolem and anjuna in Goa, Mumbai, Udaipur, Jodhpur, agra, varanassi, delhi, manali, Mcleud Ganj then back to delhi.
- Only varanassi really - I mean do go if you get the chance, but I will never go again, because it's dangerous there, very dangerous, because old varanassi (which is where you will see the burning ghats on the ganges etc) is basically a network of narrow streets and you WILL need help navigating through them and this help comes in the form of Indian tuc tuc crooks....One of them got us cornered and we ended up having to fight our way out.
- Agree on a price with a tuc tuc (auto-rickshaw) driver before you get in. You'll get a feel for how much things should cost in time, but always know roughly how far you will be travelling.
-Sometimes a good idea to book train tickets a couple of days before travel as there is a tourist quota (well there was when i was there in the summer)
- Do NOT go into sleep class without a ticket like we did and get caught by the police
- Do Not wander around the Sigur plateau in Tamil Nadu (I got held at gun point there)
- Always barter your souvenir prices AND hotel prices....for a room with a couble bed and bathroom you should look to pay no more than 400/- RS
- Don't bother going with 'tour guides' around cities.
- Smoke some beedies
- smoke through a chillum pipe (with charras)
- Have fun, because it's fucking awesome!
Where are you flying to? any ideas at all? You pretty much have to go to the taj mahal if you're all the way over there too.
If you have an idea where you will be going I can be more specific to each area.
Hope this helps
take the number of your bank in England as you'll probably need to phone them a few times (unless you have visa then it's all gravy baby)
I found taking 4000/- RS out at a time optimised my money against the bank charges. Take a lonely planet with you too, or rough guide or something.
My girlfriend and i have always wanted to spend a good few months there but what with work commitments and debts (particularly debts) we can only squeeze in a month.
I'll PM a rough plan - if you have any tips i'd be damn grateful.
Thanks again Chris!
Plus i've been to most places (more than what i briefly listed)...i look forward to the PM