Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
More info please, what's wrong with it? (I haven't downloaded it yet because 2GB will take FOREVER.)
- Daytime. It just feels wrong, the suspense just isn't there anymore.
- The pistol and sub machine gun sound and feel weedy and crap compared to before. And the pistol is next to useless when you're incapacitated now.
- The level design is muddled and no where near as clear as the before. I got lost a couple of times, which never happened on the first game.
- The melee weapons suffer from the same problem they do in all FPS - you just wave them about in front of you and stuff falls over. No real feeling of contact. Plus a frying pan probably shouldn't be more effective in taking stuff down that a machine gun. It's just a pointless gimmick.
- The sound. The xbox live 'blip' that you hear when picking stuff up now is just weird and offputting. And the full marching band that plays during horde situations is...well, it's jolly. Why would it be jolly? It's the zombie apocalypse ffs!
Basically it feels like they've overcomplicated it and added some things or the sake of making it feel like a sequel rather than an expansion pack. To be fair I've only seen a fraction of what's in store to be fair and perhaps I'll get used to the issues above. But the demo has managed to dampen my excitement rather than enhance it. Sad times.
I dunno, playing the game in a daylight setting is a nice change, I still think it would be scary, like "oooh, what a lovely sunny day SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS THAT'S A LOT OF DEAD PEOPLE."
Why is the pistol useless when your incapped? Does it fire even slower?
can you hack limbs/heads off with the melee weapons?
but does less damage. You're pumping the best part of a clip into each infected before they go down.
I thought the daylight thing would be alright but it just doesn't feel right. Maybe on the later levels with the dynamic weather thing it'll work out better. I think the weird carnival music that plays periodically doesn't help matters: it feels really jarring and off putting.
You only get a guitar and a frying pan in the demo so I dunno about the hacking yet. There's a big machete in the last safe room of the demo as a tease which looks like it'll do the job.
Especially the bit about melee weapons. Other things to add.
- dunno if you noticed this, there are no "gun-bobbing" animations when you walk with the pistols. Just looks a bit weird.
- the guns take up way too much of the screen, especially the magnum. It is MASSIVE! The HUD is too big too.
I think the daylight setting really shows the age of the Source engine. Sure, the infected look more detailed but environments look pretty bland. In the original it was hidden in darkness but in the daylight it really shows.
I found the machete a load of times in the demo, and a police baton. Did you see the defib and adrenaline shots?
The fact I couldn't defibrilate my buddies when they least expected it upset me slightly. Adrenaline seems very handy for last minute saferoom dashes. I'm not sure how I missed the other weapons: I didn't find the magnum either. I think I'd better have another run through or two
I didn't spot the lack of gun bobbing: I knew there was something off about that pistol but i couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for that :)
(i've not played it)
machete and police baton too, heads come off easily with the machete, fun stuff, theres new meds too like adrenaline and defib which add an interesting mix to things.
graphics arent stunning but more than adequate, you're killing herds and herds of zombies at an alarming rate. Daytime was a refreshing change, l4d was a bit too dark for me at times. I liked the switch the alarm off section, was pretty hectic.
The new special infected were good to, jokcey is mental, charger was gd and the vomitting one also. I found a vial of boomer bile and threw it, zombies swarmed it, BAM hundreds to mow down.
No chance ill get this at release what with mw2 taking all my online time up, but will pick it up next year.
Not sure i like the new group of survivors mind.
So the boomer blood vial is similar to the pipebomb then?
they all go for it but just go mental at that spot and gather as if attacking someone on the ground, allowing you to just fill them all with lead
the machete is great fun, takes heads off v easily
the magnum was sick too, whole chunks taken out of the infected in one shot
To be fair I actually liked the new characters. Though I'll always miss my boy Louis. No one's grabbing peels anymore :(