Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
had the potential to be brilliant. It is not. I used to really like him as well. He comes across terribly.
I think he's really funny when he isn't doing things with music
Your 'review' is shit. The programme is good.
1. It's not funny at all, which is unusual for Bill Bailey.
2. It's not informative really to any extent about the orchestra or how it works
3. Comes across mostly as smug-bailey programme
4. Interchangeable jokes meant that having the orchestra there was pretty redundant. Not counting the cow bell bit (which was funny) he could'ave done the rest on his synth thing and it would'ave been the same, pretty much
1. Both me and my Brazilian housemate laughed our arses off throughout. 2-1.
2. Go read a book then, nerd. I learned a lot. Well, I learned the etymology of the word 'oboe'. But then, I already know all I need to about the orchestra.
3. Smug: The watchword of the talentless.
4. Pretty much all of the jokes relied exclusively on there actually being an orchestra present. Which is why there was an orchestra present. Fail.
Here's some actually useful criticism, so you know what it looks like: Some of Bill's timing was put way out by the hassle of having to sync everything to the orchestra - who of course are 70 individuals reading off paper. So, understandable - but a smaller ensemble might have made the show a bit more fluid.
as soon as bill bailey picks up an instrument he becomes the world's most smug man. Look at his little smug face and little smug goatee. Look at him.
In other news, I once stood next to Bill Bailey and he's very small.
I like the man a lot. When did "clever" equate to "smug"?
"LOOK I CAN PLAY A COMEDY VERSION OF THE EASTENDERS THEME TUNE FOR TOO LONG BUT YOU ALL HAVE TO KEEP LOOKING ITS NOT FUNNY ANY MORE"
then surely you liked all the routines adapted from stuff he did years ago?