Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
should see Gran Torino.
That is all.
Motion carried. This film is full of Win.
i am totally excited about Monsters vs Aliens though! :D
Wouldn't bother if it wasn't in 3D though.
or No country for old men good?
it was good
It wasn't very good. Sean Bean was miscast, the script was pretty ropey and there wasn't enough snow/ice. I thought at one point it was going to be marginally redeemed by some eskimo boobs, but I was denied even that. At least it was quite short 3/10
That was quite good. I've heard mixed things about Far North.
It used to be on Film4 quite regularly.
I think the setting was totally wasted in Far North. It was really odd. I found it totally unengaging.
It's the feel-good hit of the Spring.
Let the Right one in (Swedish vampire/horror)
In The Loop (new Armando Iannucci Thick Of It spin-off)
Encounters at the End of the World (new Herzog documentary)
They seem to be aligning the Swedish film with the Del Toro films. I hate it when marketing do that.
basically, clint eastwood does a shit alf garnett impression. i thought it was never going to end. it doesn't know whether it's a comedy or a comment on the state of the nation. it's got some of the worst acting and writing in it - completely unconvincing
see vicky cristina barcelona - it's woody allen's best film in ages but feels not much like a woody allen film, apart from the beautiful cinematography which makes barcelona look astoundingly dreamy and golden and....i so want to live there now, except the film didn't have any fat sunburnt british tourists in the street scenes so probably wasn't realistic. plus i'm gay, so gay, for scarlett. it's a really ADULT film - i'm not sure - maybe films just automatically go up a notch when you have argumentative latino people in them.
though falling down was quite funny
- I wasn't sure that Vicky Christina Barcelona was actually a Woody Allen film when I saw it. I had a vague recollection that I'd read that it was, but while I was watching it I thought I must have been mistaken because it certainly doesn't resemble one. It made me feel better that I really liked it, because it is a bit of a girly film
- Unsatisfying ending though
- My gf found it astounding that, despite featuring ScarJo and Penelope Cruz, I was fixated on the whingey brunette one
- I like the narrator's voice. Soothing
- I liked it this A LOT, but I like Clint Eastwood (as an actor - he sounds like a proper jerk in real life)
- Terrible acting my the Hmong cast, particularly the boy. When he was shaking the door to be let out near the end I started giggling about how awful the others who were passed over for the role must have been
- I thought the girl was rubbish too, but because she was cute
I was willing to sexist-ly overlook this
- I found it a bit distracting how quickly he transitioned from a lifelong racist to an advice giving buddy in the space of a dinner
- Again, I didn't like the ending
THANKS FOR LISTENING EVERYONE
your girlfriend was right! the whingy brunette one is the worst actress ever. she also ruined frost/nixon film for me. she had three facial expressions - indignant, perturbed, and shocked. that scene in the barn with her, cruz, and bardem was staged like some GCSE drama, mostly because of her standing there like a useless plum, wailing. as you can tell, i didn't enjoy her performance.
- i liked the narrator too.
- don't remember the ending, so it was probably not memorable. i liked scarlett's character a lot - i think there were lots of cliches in the film (the bardem character) but it somehow all became more than a sum of its parts (another cliche)
- why did you like it?
- i thought it went on for ages. it just meandered but not in a pleasant vignette-y kind of way, more in a let-clint-do-what-he-wants-it's-his-last-film kind of way. it just seemed to run out of steam and then have to pull a ridiculous incident out of the bag. i guess i liked the race and culture clash element as it's not that common in recent cinema to deal with it.
stick that in your pipe indie cool boys.