1. Resident Evil 2 - I dont think its necessarily better than the original, Its just the time it came out. I sort of missed the hype with the first one and got it quite a while after it was out. But for number 2 I remember reading a lot of previews in C&VG and being genuinely excited. When it came out I stayed up until I finished it. rock. I remember being genuinely terrified by some of the bits.
2. Resident Evil 4 - I bought a gamecube just for this. It was a refreshing change to the Resi series, which was loosing it a bit and getting really stale. The size of the game really suprised/impressed me. that first Chainsaw dude got me first time, i dropped the controller in shock and fear. Amazing.
3. Bioshock - mmmmm. So much love for this, the whole derranged atomosphere of the game, getting to choose whether to harvest or rescue the girls. It felt really claustrophobic at times, and really unsettling. Best thing on the 360.
4. Metal Gear Solid - again, I was well and truely on the hype machine for when this came out. So many great elements to the game, I loved being this stealthy assassin. I did the cheat to see meryl in her pants, it was worth it. I loves the sniper bit, the hideo bit. All of it. Yeah it was a bit short/but I think it was pretty much perfect.
5. Gears of War 2 - I really loved the original, and that wouldve been here, however it was too short, and multiplayer was quite limited. This was all seen to for the sequal. Absolutely massive. Horde is possibly the most fun thing ever too. I am still playing this. I love it.